"Toas: Is Leaving an Option?" Top 5 Page for this destination Taos by richiecdisc

Taos Travel Guide: 208 reviews and 526 photos

Taos is a colorful contradiction in terms. At once, the oldest continually inhabited area of North America and a modern artsy enclave of culture, this scenically situated hotbed of outdoor activity doubles as place for physical as well as mental rejuvenation. Though a retreat for the well-heeled, it is not place outside the reach of the common man. There are amenities for everyone in this friendly tourist town that has grown with a steady influx of people who came to play and found out they didn't want to leave. Who can blame them? With over 300 days of sunshine a year and most of its precipitation coming in the form of 300 inches of snow, the town is blessed not only with an incredible mountain setting but an envious dry climate. Toss in ample culture and you've got a winning recipe for not only a tourist town but a growing town of devotees who believe leaving is not an option.

Taos is a work of art

Just walking around town it is apparent the artistic nature of its inhabitants.

• Last visit to Taos: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated May 12, 2009

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I always thought I would like Taos - now I know I must go! Your stunning photos make me want to pack my bag tomorrow. I love the adobe architecture (that church!) and the brew pub. And now I'm back collecting tips for our trip in Sept - we will be there!!

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Excellent page and tips. Looks like you put that $5 camera fee to good use at the Pueblo. Nice pictures!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Another beautiful stop on your trip west! I'm sorry to say I've never been to Taos, even though I spent three summers in that corner of New Mexico (not far from Taos, now that I look at the map) when I was younger.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Oh, I love this architecture - the colours, the lines and the details! I think I'd very much enjoy strolling the streets of this picturesque town! Secco de Arroyo seems to be a nice place for a cup of coffee and having a look at local artists work :)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Richie, you captured some fantastic colours and scenes in both the landscape and local architecture!! Your accoms sounds like fun - a bit like a place we stayed in San Ignacio, Belize. I too enjoyed my short time in beautiful Taos a few years ago.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2009 at 5:42 AM

Ha! This is so quaint & is so unlike you, lol....

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Wow, looks very interesting artist town, I never knew places like this even exists in the US ;-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2009 at 10:01 PM

fantastic :-) Your intro photos are just magic!! Artistic! And I love the accommodation you found, something exactly for me as well :-) mmmhhhh... chillies... next time I bring one of these dried ones :-)

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2009 at 11:28 AM

very cute and colourful, would love to do a wedding at that church!

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 2:58 PM

One of the most enchanted places I have ever experienced...I miss the colors & the inspiration

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Taos