"Wildwood Days" Top 5 Page for this destination Wildwood by richiecdisc
Wildwood Travel Guide: 172 reviews and 311 photos
Oh those Wildwood days. Wild, wild, Wildwood days. Oh baby, everyday is a holiday. Every night is Saturday night.
The song “Wildwood Days,” though a golden oldie still pretty much sums up the town in particular and much of the Jersey shore in general. For those outside the Philadelphia/New York Metropolitan area, the magic of “the shore” may be lost, but for generations of people from the two big cities, it is a place full of memories of a time when a short drive was not only an escape from the stifling city heat to cool ocean breezes, but also from the cares and worries of everyday life. Once inhabited by the Lenni Lenape Indian tribe, Wildwood was blessed with perhaps the greatest natural beauty among the shore towns dotting the Jersey coast. Though initially slow to develop, it caught up fast enough with the addition of a Boardwalk that at first rivaled and eventually surpassed Atlantic City’s. Following the Second World War, additional attractions and better highways along with an aggressive advertising campaign brought the city to the forefront of the resort world on the east coast. Early rock and roll stars like Bill Haley and the Comets, Chubby Checker, and Fats Domino were regulars at clubs like the Bolero and in many ways, Wildwood stands among a handful of cities with birthplace of rock and roll as a legitimate moniker. Peaking in the seventies and early eighties, Wildwood has lost some of its luster in the last decade or so. As the world grows smaller and people seek more exotic getaway vacations, the weekly exodus to “the shore” is no longer the only ticket in town. Yet, there are still plenty of people coming down to relive memories and others intent on making those of their own. Still endowed with the nicest beach and the finest Boardwalk at the Jersey shore, Wildwood is a great getaway nonetheless.
Philly may be most famous for their cheesesteaks but in NJ, especially down the shore, we have cheesesteak hoagies. It's... more travel advice
Closest thing to a rave in the Woods, cavernous club catering to Irish Universtiy students working abroad for the... more travel advice
- See All The Dragon House.
- See All Wildwood has been attracting...
- See All watch the tram car please......
- See All The Nor'easter.
- Enjoy the beach and Boardwalk....
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Wildwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Down the Shore" in Wildwood"
- "Wildwood Days"
- "asturnut's Wildwood Page"
- "Wildwood Page"
- "Welcome to Wildwood NJ"
- "Time of my life!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wildwood
- Hotels in Wildwood
- Transportation in Wildwood
- Nightlife in Wildwood
- Restaurants in Wildwood
- Shopping in Wildwood
- Warnings and Dangers in Wildwood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wildwood
- 28 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Wildwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wildwood
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos