"Springing into the Smokies!" Great Smoky Mountains National Park by richiecdisc
Great Smoky Mountains National Park Travel Guide: 213 reviews and 511 photos
Though the mountains in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park are some of the nation’s oldest the park itself remains a relative newcomer compared to many of its western US counterparts. In fact local opposition nearly kept the moniker from being bestowed upon the densely forested misty mountains. Lacking the spectacular grandeur of the Grand Canyon and Yosemite, the park still packs them in like no other. In fact, it is by far the most visited of all National Parks. This no doubt is facilitated by its easy access, lack of park fees to drive through, and close proximity to a huge portion of the US population. But there is no denying that for many the simple rolling green hills of the Smokies represent what many envision when conjuring mountain scenery. Its dense lush forest offers respite from not only what can be hot muggy summer days but also the cares and woes of everyday life that people rush to escape. And perhaps ultimately it is the distinguishing blue haze that commonly hugs the Smokies like a blanket that comforts the crowds most. When one thinks of what this great country encompasses from sea to shinning sea most would envision that hazy blue mountain image as one of its true hallmarks so its no wonder the park’s enormous popularity.
D sure is a sport, hustling through this long hike in about 2/3rds the time alloted by the guides. We could barely walk... more travel advice
The Smokies have almost a magical quality with a misty hazy hue enveloping the rolling rush hills that many consider the... more travel advice
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Great Smoky Mountains National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Great Smoky Mountains National Park Page"
- "My Tennessee (and North Carolina) Mountain Home"
- "So THAT'S why they call them The Smokies"
- "One of the Most Beautiful Places on Earth"
- ""My home away from home!!!""
- "The Great Smokies!"
- "Just as expected"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Hotels in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Transportation in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Nightlife in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Restaurants in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Shopping in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- 8 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Great Smoky Mountains National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Photos in Great Smoky Mountains National ParkSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos