Glacier National Park Restaurant Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination
Glacier National Park Restaurants: 25 reviews and 31 photos
an omelete never tasted so good
I am at heart a budget traveler. It doesn't take any effort. Born of Depression-era parents, it was instilled in me at an early age. Of course, I like my splurges and when it comes to exotic beer, I will think nothing of spending more than most would think necessary. That said, I rarely break down and buy things when they are over-priced due to location. National parks as a rule are out of the way, remote and hence tend to charge more for most items, especially cooked food.
My wife and I had been camping for over five months and though we had hit some cities and had some meals out, this was a long trip that required us do without more often than with. The payoff was well worth it, seeing hundreds of amazing places and stockpiling more memories than most have in a lifetime. After three nights of awful weather camping at Many Glacier Campground followed by four days of backpacking in Glacier National Park's vast wilderness, I finally succumbed. I woke up Doreen and said I had a surprise for her. Rather than huddle behind the little wind screen I had erected to keep us out of the wind/rain while eating, I walked her across the parking lot to the Swift Current Motor Inn's restaurant. There was a short wait but we were soon seated in a nice warm dining room.
Favorite Dish: We both ordered make your own three-egg omelets filled with mushrooms, bacon, and cheddar cheese. It came with home fries and two slices of toast. Everything was excellent quality. Just like a diner, coffee was all-you-can-drink and we added new meaning to this concept as we wanted to stay in this warm oasis as long as possible, downing cup after cup, looking out the window as the rain drops ran down. I am not big on going out to breakfast. To me, it's an easy meal to make and I'm happy to whip it up, but though this was pricey, the look on D's face was worth every cent.
We paid $24 for the two omelets, two coffees, and tip.
That night I surprised myself by suggesting we head back to the same restaurant for pizza. We had spent many hours hanging out in the Swift Current Lobby, smelling the pizza every time the restaurant door opened. After the breakfast turned out so well, we had to quench our curiosity about the pizza too. It came out piping hot, loaded with cheese and not a bad crust either. It was huge. Well, not quite as big as it looks in the picture, thanks to my wide angle lens but we could just about finish it. We took our time, enjoying it with a couple of local micro brews. There was no reason to rush. We'd be heading back to the cold tent after we left. In fact, we might have closed the place!
We paid $28 for a large cheese pie, two pints of beer, and tip.
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Part of the Swift Current Motor Inn & Cabins, at the terminus of the Many Glacier Entrance road.
More Reviews (46)
- not bad in a pinch
- being prepared for the elements at...
- get your rest, you'll need it
- See All hope to hear you first
- See All enjoy the berries in moderation
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Glacier National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glacier National Park - Postcard Perfect!"
- "Walking in the Footsteps of the Grizzly"
- "Most Beautiful Park in the lower 48 states"
- "Glacier National Park"
- "The Most Beautiful Place on Earth..."
- "Glacier National Park"
- "Waterton/Glacier International Peace Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glacier National Park
- Hotels in Glacier National Park
- Transportation in Glacier National Park
- Nightlife in Glacier National Park
- Restaurants in Glacier National Park
- Shopping in Glacier National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Glacier National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glacier National Park
- 47 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Glacier National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glacier National Park
- updated a Glacier National Park Travel Page "Walking in the Footsteps of the Grizzly"
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Glacier National Park tips
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walking in the Footsteps of the Grizzly"
- Wrote a Review not bad in a pinch in Glacier National Park Shopping
Photos in Glacier National ParkSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos