"Walking in the Footsteps of the Grizzly" Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park by richiecdisc
Glacier National Park Travel Guide: 362 reviews and 836 photos
Glacier National Park is a study in contrasts. While it does have what is possibly the most scenic drive of any US National Park, its most incredible spots can only be reached on foot. The park does its very best to make these spots accessible, from shuttles to shorten hikes to extremely useful free trail descriptions and sketch maps, but in the end, Glacier National Park is a vast wilderness, one that cannot be tamed. But even in a park noted for grizzlies and even their attacks, people of all walks of life are hitting the trail. Why? This has to be in part due to the rangers that man this rugged park, doling out information, rules, and warnings matter-of-factly, not so much to make them less pertinent but less frightening. We live on this planet with many creatures and as a rule, man has dominated and taken everything for himself. Glacier National Park is that rare glimpse of a world where we share it. The thought of seeing that is enough to make even the wary abandon caution, and march into a world where man is just part of the universe and not the center.
In a park called Glacier, you might expect to see one every time you turn around but sadly glaciers in the park as with those around the world are steadily shrinking. The Going-to-the-Sun Road offers only a glimpse of a few but you can hike to a couple of fairly impressive ones complete with glacial pools with floating icebergs, something extremely rare at this latitude. Grizzlies, however, are on the rise with the largest population in the Lower 48. It would not be unreasonable perhaps to rename it Grizzly National Park once all the glaciers have totally disappeared, predicted by the year 2030. Or perhaps more poignantly, Where Glaciers Once Flowed National Park.
Glacier National Park is a vast area and with limited time, one can only hope to scratch its surface. I was here for three days in 1994, camping on the Going-to-the-Sun Road and doing hikes strictly from there. To be fair, the hikes in the Many Glacier area were closed due to bear activity at the time.
I returned in 2008 to show the park to my wife and camped in the Many Glacier area, finally getting to to some of the hikes there, amongst the best day hikes in the park. We also explored Two Medicine. We did not see much of the west side of the park aside from Lake McDonald and its historic hotel. We did get into the park's interior with two multi-day backpacking trips. These were by far the highlight of our time in this very special place. They were not easy trips, nor necessarily relaxing times, but it did give us a real sense of sharing this wilderness with the creatures who call it home.
This little shop attached to the Swift Current Motor Inn & Cabins is a handy all purpose shop. The people who work there... more travel advice
Glacier National Park has a few bars and restaurants within its boundaries and we did opt for a pizza & beer night on... more travel advice
- See All enjoy the berries in moderation
- See All Marmot in the sun
- underwear chewing deer
- See All backpacking at Two Medicine
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Glacier National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glacier National Park - Postcard Perfect!"
- "Walking in the Footsteps of the Grizzly"
- "Most Beautiful Park in the lower 48 states"
- "Glacier National Park"
- "The Most Beautiful Place on Earth..."
- "Glacier National Park"
- "Waterton/Glacier International Peace Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glacier National Park
- Hotels in Glacier National Park
- Transportation in Glacier National Park
- Nightlife in Glacier National Park
- Restaurants in Glacier National Park
- Shopping in Glacier National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Glacier National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glacier National Park
- 47 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (157)
Have you been to Glacier National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glacier National Park
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Glacier National Park tips
- updated a Glacier National Park Travel Page "Walking in the Footsteps of the Grizzly"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walking in the Footsteps of the Grizzly"
- Wrote a Review not bad in a pinch in Glacier National Park Shopping
Photos in Glacier National ParkSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos