"Sweet Meat & Other Rewards: Acadia National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Acadia National Park by richiecdisc

Acadia National Park Travel Guide: 258 reviews and 493 photos

It is not difficult to see why Acadia National Park is so popular. Though encompassing 35,000 acres, it is a very user-friendly and accessible tract of incredibly scenic coastal and forested land. With the best of Maine’s rugged coast as its calling card, it is among the top twenty most visited national parks. A twenty-mile loop road allows people of all capabilities to explore the main park features via either private automobile or free Island Explore Shuttles. For those so inclined, there is a fair number of hiking trails generally of short length and of varying ability levels. With roots dating back to the early 1900s, Acadia is beloved especially by all New Englanders who see the park’s natural beauty as perhaps the entire area’s most cherished asset. But no matter where you hail from, going “down East,” as locals call it will undoubtedly get into your bones. Once away, you will find yourself hankering not only for the sheer cliffs and rough blue waters, but for the friendly homey welcome you have left behind too.

• Last visit to Acadia National Park: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 4, 2003

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2012 at 3:34 AM

We loved Acadia when we there many years ago - great photos here that brought back some good memories :-) My mouth is watering at your description of those lobsters!

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I wanted to hike in Acadia when we were in New England in 2006, but just did not have enough time to explore Maine. Only spent one day in Maine and that was en-route back to Boston from New Hampshire. Steve

• AnitaJRT's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2006 at 9:40 AM

Lovely photo, you have a wonderful "eye" -- great page! Thanks for sharing!

• sue&gene's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 2:06 PM

Sure wish I had read your pages before our recent trip to Maine.

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2005 at 4:40 PM

What a great place to visit! I hope I can make it there someday. Your comments are extremely helpful, and the photos are excellent.

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2004 at 9:13 AM

Wow. I am so impressed by your pages - and not only about Acadia. What are you? Official writer of Travel books? Then you are competing with yourself here :-)

• Jehcekah's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2004 at 1:40 PM

Awesome page and tips! I am planning a trip to the Acadia area for this summer and I can only hope that it is as fun as your trip sounds! Thank for the fantastic info!!

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2004 at 9:57 AM

Great tips and photos. I'm thinking about going this summer, I'll have to get in shape for that precipice trail!!!

• Dec 19, 2003 at 7:36 AM

U were SO close Acadia's best resource. Tom St. Germain owns Jack Russell's BrewPub and Maine Coast Brewing CO. He wrote a bunch of books re: area and LOVES to talk. Next time you come, drink the free beer, & talk to Tom about the abandoned trails in ANP.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2003 at 6:17 AM

Great page and destination, I see. Hiking is a great way to keep off the calories while visiting Acadia National Park - good tip for me hehe. Amazing pics of beautiful coast - some riminds me Catalunya (Cap de Creus).

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Acadia National Park

Have you been to Acadia National Park?