"Ybor City, why not?" Ybor City by richiecdisc

Ybor City Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 70 photos

Ybor City is not an obvious stop that comes to mind when planning a cross country tour of the United States. But when you're saying goodbye to your country for what you think is the last time and you're starting from your home of many years in South Florida it makes about as much sense as any. With its wrought iron balconies and cool little pubs it could pass for a poor man's New Orleans but it's small and doesn't invite much more than a cursory visit.

In fact, this was an early morning one en route to swim with the manatees in nearby Crystal River that also took in lunch at the city's brewpub. Oh, I didn't mention beer? Well, why else would I have come here in the first place? My wife got her manatees and I got my beer and we began a dream six month trip around the USA that would take us to far greater places. But first things first.

• Last visit to Ybor City: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 19, 2010

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2010 at 1:48 AM

I put on my boots to start this virtual trip around USA! I don't know much about the country so I guess it will be full of nice discoveries. Beers and Cuban-New Orleans flavour seems a good start to me :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2009 at 11:48 PM

A nice little page about the first leg of your big journey around the US. Good that you stayed for your parents' 60th wedding anniversary and then hit the road after that.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2009 at 3:16 AM

U're only approaching 50?! Hehe... I thought you'd gone past that some time ago! ;-) So, when u hit 50, will all of us on VT get free beer from you?

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2009 at 6:54 AM

So you where here for the pretzels or the beer ;-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2009 at 12:46 PM

How wonderful to be setting out with you on your trip at last :-) Beautiful manatee shot, and I like the sound of those beers, especially the stout!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Wow Richie, that is a great shot of the Manatees! The only time I've seen them is off-shore at Hopkins, Belize. Ybor City really does look like an enjoyable little spot, especially with that brewpub so close at hand!!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2009 at 6:09 AM

What a funny name for a beer - iron rat :-) Ah, I wouldn't call this NO for the poor, but NO for the rich ones, rich in happiness and love :-))

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I would even jump into that cold water again if we just could go on that kind of trip...

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Hi, Richie! Thanks for your detailed and interesting page....<><><><>

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Ybor City

Have you been to Ybor City?

Latest Activity in Ybor City