"Elbo Room Jams: Fort Lauderdale" Fort Lauderdale by richiecdisc

Fort Lauderdale Travel Guide: 662 reviews and 1,395 photos

Fort Lauderdale is many things to many people. I have seen it in many different incarnations. Though before my time, it was the playground of the rich and famous in the 50’s, playing host to many celebrities who found charm in its picture perfect beaches and great nightlife. Then spring break took over in the 60’s and America’s college youth first discovered and finally took over the beach resort by the 80’s. It was during the 80’s that I first discovered this fun town. Spring break was in it’s heyday with throngs of bikini clad coeds and endless beer. It was chaotic but good-natured though in the end, it just got too big for such a small area. Enter the Fort Lauderdale’s planning commission and it was time to squash the breakers out of town with laws to squelch all the fun and mounted police to carry out the deed. And indeed, it was done within three seasons; with each progressing wave looking like a mere ripple in comparison to years gone by. What followed was a deteriorated state that no on could quite see coming with property values plummeting, the lower classes moving into the beach area, and petty crime increasing with the addition of crack houses and less than desirable inhabitants. It would appear that the once glamorous town would slide into the abyss, never to return to its former glory. I found myself living in the beach area at that time, bartending, and enjoying the still nice beaches at now rock bottom prices. But a beach refurbishment was underway that would in ten years transform the beach into a mini South Beach ala Miami and the final push occurred with a similar development in the downtown area, with the addition of a performing arts center, an Imax, and numerous cafes, bars, and clubs, culminating in a river front shopping complex just recently completed. Again, Fort Lauderdale is looking like a great destination and with very good prices compared to neighboring towns. Come on down, you might be surprised at what you find.

• Last visit to Fort Lauderdale: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 20, 2010

Travelogues (1)

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2010 at 3:16 AM

Strange, it seems I have never checked this page before, no, I am not planning FL visit yet, we have it right now here in the north the very same weather ;-)

• Antji's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Hiho Richie, It´s one year ago...Last year in May I was in Fort Lauderdale...I remember as would be some months ago. Time runs so fast! Hope you don´t be so homesick, but I am sure you have to discover and learn a lot in Munich;) Big Hug to D. & you

• jaminfll's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Please visit the newly remodeled Poorhouse..Things have changed since 2002! for show schedule visit www.poorhousebar.com

• Jul 15, 2009 at 4:52 PM

"nostalgic wanker"?? hahaha i nearly pee'd my pantaloons over that one! you live in ft lauderdale... i did too. for 2 days back in 2006. haha! is my yacht still there? ;-)

• Petruta's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Lovely photos... and so is your someplace... so true about that! Hope you are feeling better my friend! Petruta

• Jan 31, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Thanks for the write-up of F.L. We are looking forward to the hols.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Never been to Fort Lauderdale -- thanks for the tour. Love the tip for the place that specializes in Bangers & Mash. Priceless info. Best from NJ, Bill

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Ah, now I discovered the secret behind your screen name :-)) FLL did change much since I've been there in the early 90ties. Afternoon smiles from here :-)) (oops, this wasn't my hometown, your hometown, I only was looking for something to read :-)

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2006 at 6:24 PM

Nice tips and pics. I was in Lauderdale about a year ago. I loved it and you've reminded me of some things I've forgotten that I did.

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2005 at 2:22 AM

Wow... your smiles outshine the sun (quite an accomplishment in Fort Lauderdale!). I wish you both a wonderful journey filled with joy, adventure, and love.

richiecdisc Used To Live Here!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Fort Lauderdale

Have you been to Fort Lauderdale?

Latest Activity in Fort Lauderdale