"Elbo Room Jams: Fort Lauderdale" Fort Lauderdale by richiecdisc
Fort Lauderdale Travel Guide: 660 reviews and 1,394 photos
Fort Lauderdale is many things to many people. I have seen it in many different incarnations. Though before my time, it was the playground of the rich and famous in the 50’s, playing host to many celebrities who found charm in its picture perfect beaches and great nightlife. Then spring break took over in the 60’s and America’s college youth first discovered and finally took over the beach resort by the 80’s. It was during the 80’s that I first discovered this fun town. Spring break was in it’s heyday with throngs of bikini clad coeds and endless beer. It was chaotic but good-natured though in the end, it just got too big for such a small area. Enter the Fort Lauderdale’s planning commission and it was time to squash the breakers out of town with laws to squelch all the fun and mounted police to carry out the deed. And indeed, it was done within three seasons; with each progressing wave looking like a mere ripple in comparison to years gone by. What followed was a deteriorated state that no on could quite see coming with property values plummeting, the lower classes moving into the beach area, and petty crime increasing with the addition of crack houses and less than desirable inhabitants. It would appear that the once glamorous town would slide into the abyss, never to return to its former glory. I found myself living in the beach area at that time, bartending, and enjoying the still nice beaches at now rock bottom prices. But a beach refurbishment was underway that would in ten years transform the beach into a mini South Beach ala Miami and the final push occurred with a similar development in the downtown area, with the addition of a performing arts center, an Imax, and numerous cafes, bars, and clubs, culminating in a river front shopping complex just recently completed. Again, Fort Lauderdale is looking like a great destination and with very good prices compared to neighboring towns. Come on down, you might be surprised at what you find.
Another Irish bar with a better beer selection than Dicey's. more travel advice
Great Irish bar with live music and Guinness on tap, it is absolutely mobbed for St. Paddy's Day. more travel advice
- See All Jack's Old Fashioned Hamburger...
- Lots of relatively inexpensive...
- See All Even right by the beach there...
- See All Hugh Taylor Birch State...
- Packing List
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Fort Lauderdale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Venice of America"
- "fort lauderdale"
- "Fort Lauderdale - Venice of America"
- "A MUCH needed break in the Sun"
- "Ft Lauderdale"
- "A LONG OVER DUE VISIT TO SEE AN OLD FRIEND"
- "Ft. Lauderdale, cruise port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Lauderdale
- Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
- Transportation in Fort Lauderdale
- Nightlife in Fort Lauderdale
- Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
- Shopping in Fort Lauderdale
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Lauderdale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Lauderdale
- 25 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 156 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Fort Lauderdale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Lauderdale
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Elbo Room Jams: Fort Lauderdale"
- updated a Fort Lauderdale Travel Page "Elbo Room Jams: Fort Lauderdale"
- Commented on one of ramblingon's Fort Lauderdale travel pages
- Wrote a Review Murphy's Law. about Murphy's Law in Fort Lauderdale Nightlife
Photos in Fort LauderdaleSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos