"They're Not Messing Around at Mesa Verde" Top 5 Page for this destination Mesa Verde National Park by richiecdisc

Mesa Verde National Park Travel Guide: 229 reviews and 547 photos

Mesa Verde National Park successfully straddles the domain of National Park and Native American site better perhaps than any of its formidable competition. While this is in part due to an amazingly well-preserved and intricate group of cliff dwellings it is also a credit to good management in the presentation of these assets. It leaves visitors with not only a better understanding of the life of the people who built and lived in them but also an appreciation of them as part of an American culture we can all be proud of.

a user-friendly educational experience

Through interpretive displays throughout the site, in a well-conceived museum and a series of ranger-led group walks and evening programs, the visitor comes away with a good idea and feeling for those who called this fascinating place home. The cliff dwellings themselves are fun to explore, fascinating to see, and are perfect photographic fodder when the sun sinks low in the sky. If one can only visit one Native American site, a case for Mesa Verde National Park can surely be made when it comes to an educational user-friendly experience.

• Intro Updated Jul 28, 2009

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2009 at 6:32 AM

Given my fascination with Native American culture, this would be a must if we ever come back to this area. The ranger tours sound especially excellent and I "think" I could handle the ladders. Thanks for the great tips & photos luring me back ...

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Richie, amazing dwellings at Mesa Verde NP and absolutely beautiful photos too! I'm afraid I had to give you 5-stars all the way for this one! I like the looks of those solid-looking ladders. What a bunch of awesome sights you've seen on this trip!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I am going to S. Utah and to see a lot of the ruins in the hidden areas. Good pictures and comments on this. I do have acrophobia, but am going up.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2009 at 7:35 AM

The park of steep ladders? Since I live on the top floor and I am used to hight, I would perhaps dare to do it ;) At least for a scenic Balcony House. Lovely photos, Richie! Well worth picking up that 'Amateur Photographer's Guide to the park'.

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2009 at 1:35 PM

The guided tours were fun & the campground was enhanced by visiting deers :) But the beer in Cortez was not the best in the west as advertised by the brewer :(

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Huh, I'm afraid of heights...sometimes ;-) Interesting beer analyzing but what I'm learning from this is to be sceptical about the naming of beers and what actually we are getting :D

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Oh fantastic, Richie :-)) I love the photos and the descriptions. I am afraid though, I couldn't go up, not because of fear of heights but.... the elephant would break the ladder (after all that cake..)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Wonderful photographs and excellent warning tips Richie. I also appreciate your General Tips! Some excellent insight and memories. Someday I will get my family here to see such a beautiful sight. Wonderful page!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Mesa Verde National Park

Have you been to Mesa Verde National Park?

Latest Activity in Mesa Verde National Park