"On Becoming Part of the Food Chain: Yosemite" Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park by richiecdisc
Yosemite National Park Travel Guide: 1,521 reviews and 3,525 photos
Yosemite joins perhaps only Yellowstone in pedigree when it comes to US National Parks. Part of the young nation's psyche from their inception in the late 1800s, they were grand proof that new ideas about democracy could lead to enlightened perception when it came to land as something not only precious monetarily but also for the soul and thus in need of preservation. As hard as it is to fathom today, these were new ideas and quite possibly will be looked back on as the United States greatest contribution to society.
Yosemite's popularity is unsurprisingly as grandiose as its lineage. Few one-word names conjure such powerful images and even in an increasingly information driven society, it calls boldly for all to come and enjoy the great outdoors, leaving the mundane behind. Couple this draw with the park's proximity to a large population and it spells the word crowded just as loudly. With a huge tract of the Sierra Nevada range as its spine, a verdant old growth forest, and numerous spectacular waterfalls for dazzle, it's not hard to see what all the fuss is about. Accordingly, it is quite possibly the most developed wilderness in the world with an extensive network of trails criss-crossing its 1200 square miles and a reservation system on a par with Disney World. Some would argue that it is overrun with people but the truth is people have always been drawn here, from Native Americans to Gold Rush settlers, to early park pioneers who founded a National Park ideology around it.
So, what can you do to enjoy Yosemite National Park in a little of the solitude that John Muir found over a 100 years ago? You can go to spots not quite as famous, not quite as popular. Hike high and deep just as he did. Only 5% of the park is accessible by road so there's a lot of room to get lost. But after you do get lost, you should come back to the masses and enjoy that camaraderie too. It is after all a place to share. It is part of an American heritage that hopefully will never die. To understand that as a people will help raise our awareness to preserve not only these parks but our planet as well.
Both Yosemite and Curry Village have grocery stores that sell a wide variety of goodies. They are very popular as you... more travel advice
Yosemite National Park has trails for all levels of hikers and some of them are quite advanced. The last portion of the... more travel advice
- quiet nights are often best
- give backpacking a try
- try finding the perfect partner
- See All two days in a row
- See All Illilouette Falls
- the history of feeding bears in Yosemite
- shuttles and cars both have their uses
- See All food storage crimps the picnics
- See All lots of charm and a bit less expensive...
Been to Yosemite National Park?Share your travels with the world!
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Yosemite National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Incomparable Valley (and Park)"
- "Yosemite in a day"
- "On Becoming Part of the Food Chain: Yosemite"
- "Yosemite National Park"
- "Yosemite is Perhaps the Prettiest Park in the USA"
- "The Glacial Beauty of Yosemite National Park"
- "As Good As It Gets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yosemite National Park
- Hotels in Yosemite National Park
- Transportation in Yosemite National Park
- Nightlife in Yosemite National Park
- Restaurants in Yosemite National Park
- Shopping in Yosemite National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Yosemite National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yosemite National Park
- 53 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Yosemite National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yosemite National Park
- updated a Yosemite National Park Travel Page "On Becoming Part of the Food Chain: Yosemite"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "I relished redemption"
- Wrote a Review in Yosemite you can buy it all in Yosemite National Park Shopping
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Yosemite National Park travel pages
Photos in Yosemite National ParkSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos