San Francisco Local Custom Tips by richiecdisc
San Francisco Local Customs: 281 reviews and 473 photos
too many beers, too little time
I’m a big proponent of trying local food and drink and beer falls nicely into the latter category. San Francisco’s Anchor Brewing was at the forefront of the microbrew phenomenon that started in the mid-80s. Northern California has been a stalwart advocate throughout the years and there are numerous great small breweries in the bay area and farther a field. With great multi-tap bars like the Toronado in town, you can sample lots of them without even leaving the city limits. Sierra Nevada has become popular throughout the country but you don’t find their seasonals very often and I was happy to get to sample their Oktoberfest beer. While it is nice to visit brewpubs personally, many small breweries don’t even have their own taprooms so getting to sample their beers so easily is a real plus. Anchor Brewing runs a great tour weekdays only and must be reserved well in advance. I've done lots of tours and this one in 1994, and it's one of the best. It's a beautiful brewery with great beers, and best thing is over an hour of unlimited beers to sample!
D enjoys the warm treat on a foggy S.F. morning
Though Irish coffee was not invented at the Buena Vista Restaurant in San Francisco, the pub no doubt made the drink popular in the States. They also know how to market an admitted good thing. The hot drink that consists of cubed sugar, coffee, Irish whiskey and clotted cream is a perfect complement to the city’s foggy climate. But what makes it so popular I believe is the show the bartenders put on making one! After vigorously chopping up the sugar in the piping hot coffee, they pour the whiskey in from an absurd height into multiple glasses before floating the majestic cream on top. It’s very tasty and a must when in S.F. The Buena Vista is perhaps the most expensive place to have one but also probably the most atmospheric one too. Worth the splurge.
More Reviews (56)
- See All to know her is to love her
- See All a good bet if you have a car
- See All The Haight Spot for Beer Afficionados
- See All Head to the Sonoma Valley for some wine
- See All Golden Gate Bridge
- picnie supplies
- There are numerous hikes close to the...
- break your shoes in before you come
- See All great location and better than expected
- beware the steep San Francisco streets
- riceroni, a San Francisco treat
Been to San Francisco?Share your travels with the world!
richiecdisc's Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Explore the World
- Richmond Hill Hotels
- South Sulawesi Province
- Badgers Island Hotels
- Cimindi-hilir Hotels
- DeFuniak Springs
- Collinsville Hotels
- Buskin River State Recreation Site
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 58 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Commented on one of AngieGo's San Francisco travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "a taste of Saigon"
- Wrote a Review to know her is to love her about S.F. Pets in San Francisco Favorites
- updated a San Francisco Travel Page "San Francisco: An Alternate Take"
Photos in San FranciscoSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
Latest San Francisco hotel reviews
- Embassy Suites Hotel San Francisco Airport
- 328 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- European Guest House
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- The Washington Square Inn
- 210 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Park Hotel
- 224 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Radisson Hotel Fishermans Wharf
- 1065 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- St. Regis Hotel, San Francisco
- 494 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- YMCA Central Branch
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Hotel Tomo San Francisco
- 459 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Red Victorian Inn
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013
- Best Western Flamingo Inn
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Union Street Inn
- 345 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Amsterdam Hostel
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Laurel Inn
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Golden Gate Bridge- 247 Reviews, 393 Photos
- Lombard Street- 131 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Alcatraz- 290 Reviews, 484 Photos
- Chinatown- 175 Reviews, 298 Photos
- Fisherman's Wharf- 177 Reviews, 315 Photos
- Coit Tower- 134 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Mission District- 51 Reviews, 122 Photos
- Pier 39- 118 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Alamo Square- 66 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Muir Woods- 36 Reviews, 68 Photos
See All San Francisco Things to Do