San Francisco Hotel Tips by richiecdisc
San Francisco Hotels: 111,961 reviews and 591 photos
one cheap alternative in Chinatown w/o parking
Though we had enjoyed the USA hostel and it was a great deal, they did not have parking facilities and being with our car on a six-month camping trip around the Western US National Parks, we needed just that. The Chateau Tivoli was out of our price range too. You can't stay at places like that if you're on a 190 night trip, unless of course, you have lots of money. So, we opted for the Downtown Motel 6. We had stayed at a few on our travels and they are generally one of the least expensive options. Being a chain, you have some kind of albeit low standards.
Unique Qualities: At $120, this was the most expensive room of our whole six-month trip and not the nicest but it was conveniently located and did have secure underground parking. This was important as we had all of our camping gear (and about everything we owned!) in the car. The room was certainly not bad and had everything we needed. We were only there one night so did not spend much time in the room anyway and it was in an area we felt comfortable in walking around at night. It is borderline Tenderloin (one of SF's worst areas) but really not bad as far as we could see. You could walk into Chinatown in 15 minutes up one very steep hill and from there, you have the city at your feet.
We actually, we had two full days in SF by spending the next night in Stockton at another Motel 6 for only $44. It was 90 minutes away and on the way to Yosemite, which is where were were headed next anyway.
Address: 895 Geary Street
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Right in the heart of downtown and within walking distance to most tourist areas.
the former Hotel Glenwood got a facelift
I was a bit leery when booking a hostel in San Francisco. I had stayed in the Tenderloin ten years ago and though not as dangerous as purported, it was certainly a seedy locale. The first place I reserved was down a one-way street but when I found this place on the Internet, I quickly changed the booking. And was glad I did. It was a very good location, more in Nob Hill than the Loin and a San Franciscan referred to the area as the Tender Nob. It was completely safe and very convenient to everywhere in the city, whether on foot or using the extensive mass transit system.
Unique Qualities: Aside from its great location, the place itself was quite pleasant with helpful staff and clean rooms. We stayed in three different rooms and all were roomy with attached bathrooms, TVs, and comfy beds. There is a lift (elevator) which comes in handy since the place is about seven stories! The kitchen area downstairs is well kept and there is pancake batter for those on a tight budget though we preferred to eat rice porridge in Chinatown for $2.55 a huge heaping bowl. All this for $54 and remember that hostels are exempt from San Fran’s exorbitant 14% tax. You can book online at their useful website or call their toll free number.
Address: 717 Sutter Street
Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Take BART to Powell Street Station, walk north on Powell to Sutter, make a left and it's about four blocks and on your left.
fairy tales would certainly come true here
We didn’t stay here but stumbled across it while walking towards the Painted Ladies to get some photos. It was actually a more striking building than its more famous neighbors up the street. As it turned out, it’s an operating B & B and a very good one evidently, having won the best B & B in San Francisco award this year.
Unique Qualities: From the looks on their website, the rooms are very well appointed and atmospheric. Though it’s far from inexpensive, it does seem to be good value and even I, the savvy budget traveler, would consider staying here. Oh, did I mention, it’s within stumbling distance to the beery shrine, Toronado on Haight Steet?
Address: 1057 Steiner Street
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Steiner is just off Haight Street and the B & B is a couple steep blocks down the street from the Painted Ladies row of Victorian homes everyone wants to capture on film.
Phone: (800) 228-1647
Theme: Bed and Breakfast
More Reviews (55)
- See All to know her is to love her
- See All The Haight Spot for Beer Afficionados
- See All Head to the Sonoma Valley for some wine
- See All Golden Gate Bridge
- picnie supplies
- There are numerous hikes close to the...
- break your shoes in before you come
- See All Try the local beers
- See All great location and better than expected
- beware the steep San Francisco streets
- riceroni, a San Francisco treat
Been to San Francisco?Share your travels with the world!
richiecdisc's Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Explore the World
- Aydinbey Famous Resort
- Andrew Jackson Hotel
- Namale Resort
- St. Josef
- Gringo Bill's Hostal
- Hotel Eliseo
- Regent Cha-Am Beach Resort
- Grand Hotel Amstelveen
- Maldron Hotel Cork
- Hilton Puckrup Hall
- Swiss Belhotel Bay View
- Noah's Ark
- Los Medanos
- Provincial Hotel
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 58 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
- Commented on one of kiwi's San Francisco tips
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "a taste of Saigon"
- Wrote a Review to know her is to love her about S.F. Pets in San Francisco Favorites
- updated a San Francisco Travel Page "San Francisco: An Alternate Take"
Photos in San FranciscoSee All Photos (95)
Read real reviews about San Francisco Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
Latest San Francisco hotel reviews
- Beresford Hotel
- 317 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Taylor Hotel
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Hotel Vitale-Embarcadero
- 767 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Red Victorian Inn
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Cornell Hotel de France
- 600 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- Mithila Hotel
- 125 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Inn at the Opera
- 507 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- Hilton San Francisco Financial District
- 1232 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Monarch Hotel
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- The Andrews Hotel
- 346 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Hotel Serrano - A Kimpton Hotel
- 906 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Hilton San Francisco/ Fisherman's Wharf
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Travelodge San Francisco Central
- 305 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- The Grove Inn
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 27, 2012
- Americas Best Value Inn
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Lombard Street- 131 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Chinatown- 178 Reviews, 309 Photos
- Golden Gate Bridge- 249 Reviews, 399 Photos
- Alcatraz- 290 Reviews, 484 Photos
- Fisherman's Wharf- 177 Reviews, 315 Photos
- Pier 39- 118 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Coit Tower- 133 Reviews, 251 Photos
- Alamo Square- 66 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Golden Gate Park- 118 Reviews, 244 Photos
- Muir Woods- 36 Reviews, 68 Photos
See All San Francisco Things to Do