"San Francisco: An Alternate Take" San Francisco by richiecdisc

San Francisco Travel Guide: 9,131 reviews and 19,421 photos

San Francisco is a hard city to not fall in love with. With an astonishing physical setting and a jumble of architectural styles from an assortment of eras, the former California Gold Rush capital captivates like few others. Surrounded on three sides by glorious water, this peninsular hill-laden marvel would be a candidate for National Park status if they'd never built a city here in the first place. In fact, much of what surrounds the man-made structures is part of the National Park system. Spacey modern skyscrapers and turn of the century relics intermingle effortlessly, salted generously with Victorian and Edwardian homes to add color.

San Fran is all about the neighborhoods

Ethnicity is at the forefront with the nation's most colorful Chinatown, a sprawling Hispanic neighborhood, and a taste of Italy right in the city center. So, you know there's food to be eaten in them there hills. But what you notice as you wander up and down the forty-five degree inclines, aside from a confluence of spectacular views, is the utter silence of this gem of a town. There are no honking horns and people seem to speak in whispers. Perhaps they're trying to keep a secret about the place they live in. Can you blame them? Because when cities dream, they dream they're San Francisco.

always love getting back to San Francisco

My first visit to San Francisco was back in 1994. I liked it so much I returned a few weeks later. It really has to be my favorite city in the world. My new wife and I came in 2005 as a belated honey-moon of sorts and she immediately fell in love with it too.

We returned in 2008 as part of a six-month camping trip around the Western US National Parks so it was a brief stop of only two days but we got to revisit some old friends and firmly establish our continuing affair with this great city. I've added a few new tips, updated others, and added some much improved photos thanks to going with a digital SLR before embarking on the trip. Enjoy!

• Last visit to San Francisco: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 16, 2009

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Hi Richie, your page brings back great memories of the years I lived in Berkeley and often went over to San Francisco. My then-girlfriend's aunt owned one of those colorful Victorian houses, and we got to house-sit one summer. Hope all is well in Munich.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2009 at 12:42 PM

"Because when cities dream, they dream they're San Francisco" - perfect :-) I fell in love with this city too - thank you for taking me back for a virtual visit at least.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Richie, a classic page on the delights of SF! The Transamerica/Sentinel buildings pic is an amazing contrast! I really enjoyed the ambiance of The Haight myself, but I wish I had been 'free' to tackle the Magnolia Pub/Brewery as well ! Great additions!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2009 at 1:37 PM

All what I knew about this place is from the many movies. It was very nice to see it through your eyes and camera.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Oh wow, yes, your new photos are outstanding!!! I must watch "Vertigo" again this weekend, it is so much SF!! And I still would love to have one of these sourcrocs :-) ahh, is there clam chowder in a lobster bread?

• Jan 26, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Great information in your San Francisco page

• jlw94102's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2007 at 4:15 PM

INFAMOUS castro theater??

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Great Tips! I put a bunch of them in my folder. Will use them in April. Thanks!

• Maggies's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 4:03 AM

Did you know that this hostel have moved to different location? Anyway, we will probably be staying outside the city.

• sikorka's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2006 at 7:07 AM

Nice pictures, useful info, very well done page!!!

richiecdisc Visits Here Frequently!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in San Francisco

Have you been to San Francisco?

Latest Activity in San Francisco