"Northern California Explorer" Top 5 Page for this destination Mendocino by richiecdisc

Mendocino Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 167 photos

California is the place where the mountains meet the sand. Most visitors are quite content to fly into Los Angeles, enjoy its typical Southern California lifestyle for a few days, head up through Big Sur to San Francisco and maybe the wine region just beyond. With limited time, it is surely a good choice. Those with a bit more time and an inclination to nature venture to Yosemite which proves quite convincingly that all the state's gems are not along the coast. But this is a big state and there is a lot to explore beyond these more noted sights. Northern California seems to be the realm of locals and those determined to get to the core of the golden state. If you are looking to do the same or are going to Oregon to the north, try hugging the coast rather than heading up the Interstate. With a rugged coast equal to Big Sur, some quaint towns from the logging era, and a lot fewer people than in its more famous south, you will be glad you did.

Mendocino is a charmer missed by many

Mendocino is quintessential Northern California and while this page concentrates on this historical logging town, it also encompasses areas as far north as Redwood National Park along with stops we made on our way from San Francisco to it. Since we did the region in a matter of a few days, it made more sense to make it one cohesive page rather than a series of short detached ones.

• Last visit to Mendocino: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 12, 2009

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 7:51 AM

This area is definitely on our list to visit some time soon, and when we do we'll head to Bear Republic to sample the Oak Aged Black Mamba for sure :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Wow Richie, this is my kind of territory! Amazing photos of the rugged coast and the redwood forest shots are fantastic. Your meandering road trip with D, and having time to stop, is just the thing Sue and I love as well.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2009 at 11:33 AM

What a wonderful place to visit. But I was just wondering, how the hell do you get the details menu from such places? Do you steal the menu? take some notes? Or do you really have the memory of an elephant? ;-)

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 9:25 AM

So many breweries in Mendocino?? ;) I wouldn't mind tasting their wine though. Haha, Ingrid reminded me of a song from my childhood. It was quite popular here as well. But had no idea this was the same Mendocino. What a lovely town! :)

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I did NOT try to get you out of the bar while they played "Wild Horses"... I knew better & waited till it was over...

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Oh Mendocino looks different than I had pictured it from the song! But beautiful!! Is Michael Holm still running around? These flowers are adorable and I laughed my head off about Pliny the Elder beer! And Vertigo again... Redwood movie set :-)

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Mendocino

Have you been to Mendocino?

Latest Activity in Mendocino