Grand Canyon National Park Restaurant Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination
Grand Canyon National Park Restaurants: 15 reviews and 20 photos
double mashed? no problem for D after the hike
The Grand Canyon Village has just about anything you could possibly need. It is like a small town within the National Park boundary. There's a laundromat, showers, supermarket, post office, gift shop, camping supply store, and numerous restaurants catering to different budgets. The one thing you have to like about the Grand Canyon is they do not seem to be price gorging.
Considering that they have you pretty much at their mercy, their prices are not bad. Showers are a very reasonable $2 and block ice, something some National Parks don't even carry is only $3. The cafeteria is very reasonable and the food is pretty good too. It is set up for families on a budget and the cafeteria style makes for quick service and no tipping.
Favorite Dish: How could cafeteria food be so good? Well, just hike ten miles up 4500 feet from the Colorado River to the Grand Canyon Rim, that's how. Even after two days without a shower, we went directly to the cafeteria and we had already seen what we were going to have before our backcountry trip. Fried chicken. A two-piece dinner with two sides and a corn muffin is only $5 and the server didn't even flinch when we both asked for two orders of mashed potatoes for our sides. I guess she's seen her share of carb-starved hikers in her day. Was it the best fried chicken we'd ever eaten? It sure tasted like it. Were too mounds of mashed too much to down? Not in the least. Nor the muffin. After our shower, we went right to the supermarket and got a big bag of corn chips and a wonderful local salsa for $6.50 and annihilated them along with a few beers back at the campground.
Comparison: least expensive
Directions: This is right in the Grand Canyon Village so you'll see it whether you are looking or not.
Price: less than US$10
nuts & dried fruit are gourmet meal with this view
Eating in the backcountry is an experience everyone should have to do once. It makes you appreciate food in an entirely different way. First, there is the effort to get the food to where you are. You have to carry everything and weight is a factor. Second, you are hungrier than you normally are due to all the energy expended to get not only the food but your camping gear and self to where you are now eating.
Favorite Dish: Dried food is lightest to carry and one of the easiest to prepare but their recommendation on how much to bring is generally idealistic at best. In short, you almost need twice as much as they tell you to bring. If they say, it's two servings, it's more like one. They are pricey so we've learned to supplement the meals with extra carb portions. For instance, if it's a Chinese chicken meal, we add extra instant rice. If it's a stew, we add instant mashed potatoes. The meals are on the wet side for our tastes so the additions make for a better consistency as well as more filling meal. We generally have an oriental soup of some kind to flesh it out and if super hungry dip into our lunch supplies.
For breakfasts, we have either instant oatmeal or oriental porridge if we can find it. We brought a bunch from Florida but you can't find it unless there is a good oriental grocery. It was even hard to find in San Francisco's Chinatown! Lunches are mostly snacks and are eaten in installments. Nuts, seeds, dried fruit and chocolate give us all the energy we need without feeling overly full.
Comparison: least expensive
Price: less than US$10
More Reviews (38)
- I love to walk but you still need a car
- don't drive/hike Grand Canyon National...
- bring it and they will use it
- man provided shade & water
- the bottom of the Grand Canyon
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Grand Canyon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grand Canyon, Colorado River Rafting"
- "Getting to the Bottom of the Grand Canyon"
- "Grand Canyon is a lot of things to a lot of people"
- "A Walk Through Time"
- "Grand Means Big and Deep Canyon"
- "Let's go rafting!!"
- "A Sunrise in October"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Canyon National Park
- Hotels in Grand Canyon National Park
- Transportation in Grand Canyon National Park
- Nightlife in Grand Canyon National Park
- Restaurants in Grand Canyon National Park
- Shopping in Grand Canyon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Canyon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Canyon National Park
- 40 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Grand Canyon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Canyon National Park
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Commented on one of doug48's Grand Canyon National Park travel pages
- updated a Grand Canyon National Park Travel Page "Getting to the Bottom of the Grand Canyon"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cafe Glow"
- Wrote a Review I love to walk but you still need a car about Entrance fee in Grand Canyon National Park Transportation
Photos in Grand Canyon National ParkSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Overlooks and Points- 24 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Sunset/Sunrise- 7 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Rim, South- 9 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Bright Angel Trail- 12 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Hikes- 20 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Mule Rides- 6 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Outside the Park- 5 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Rim, North- 10 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Flora/ Fauna- 6 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Rim, West/East- 4 Reviews, 4 Photos