"A Time & Purpose for Everything: Glen Canyon" Top 5 Page for this destination Glen Canyon National Recreation Area by richiecdisc

Glen Canyon National Recreation Area is like an oasis in the desert. As beautiful and natural looking as it looks, you just know it has to be man made. The red rocks and many colored hues are there, just like in much of the surrounding areas but now you have an immense lake that somehow doesn't quite fit in as much as you want it to. Factor out the man made aspect and it is one beautiful sight, especially after dwelling in the parched land around it for a few weeks. Obviously, this is a boater's paradise and if you don't have your own boat, there are boat tours.

To be honest, we used it more as a pit stop. It was a place to camp, grab a shower, and do our laundry. But while there, we enjoyed a few very nice meals with an awesome if somewhat man made view.

• Intro Updated Jun 22, 2009

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM

What an amazing view! I have mostly seen cities in US but hope to visit Arisona and Utah one day.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2009 at 7:00 AM

I saw it from the top enroute to Monument Valley. It was beautiful! Wish I could do this trip again! May be one day :-)

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 6:16 AM

I am posting comments/pics now, but they do not compare to your detail.Good work. I took that trip to 11 parks in Utah/Arizona and 135 miles.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2009 at 5:17 AM

You are correct Richie, it does look like an oasis in this parched area of the west! It looks like you made very good use of its facilities while enjoying the views. But, after all, any place with a name like 'Glen' Canyon has got to be good ;)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Another great page Richie, and I agree about the slight incongruity of Lake Powell. We did that boat tour by the way, and it was well worth it, so if you find yourselves back there any time ...

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Awesome opening picture, Richie! I would also enjoy picnic with such stunning view :)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Beautiful page of a beautiful area. Something is so special about this area. The lake and the rustic rock formations are truley sculptures of mother nature. Lovely page R!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM

thats a great opening picture. this is one part of america that is really high on my list.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Glad you enjoyed going around our state of Arizona...and enjoyed the picnic bench too! I was in Monument Valley last week and it was awesome as well...see you on the road, Norman :)

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Nothing better than a shower after 5 days in the desert!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area

Have you been to Glen Canyon National Recreation Area?

Latest Activity in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area