"The Great Escape: Chiricahua National Monument" Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument by richiecdisc
Chiricahua National Monument Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 242 photos
Named after the most fierce branch of the Apache tribe, Chiricahua National Monument's signature pinnacles are a fitting reminder of their strong and proud namesakes who once roamed this for them sacred land. Physical beauty in nature instills spiritual feelings in men of all creeds and it's easy to see why the Chiricahua would have been drawn to these powerful, foreboding rock pillars. It was also an obvious choice in which to try and escape their capture by white settlers intent on colonizing the surroundings, with its maze like quality and high points perfect for spotting intruders from a great distance. But colonized it was and with the surrender by Geronimo, it was only a matter of time before the new immigrants forged their way of life and left their imprint. In fact, the National Monument has little to say about its Native American past and dwells more on Swedish settlers and rock spire formation. In time, even if this does not become a full fledged “Indian park,” it is likely more of its illustrious past will be better documented as well it should be. Even without such official validation it is nearly impossible to be here without feeling the spiritual presence of the Chiricahua. Sacred it remains.
Political debate aside, the volcanically formed spires provide an amazing place to commune with nature, whether it be on its twenty miles of hiking trails, driving the scenic Bonita Canyon Road, or enjoying its tranquilly pretty campground.
Neil and Emma Erickson, Swedish immigrants, settled in Bonita Canyon in the late 1880s. Their homestead is now a... more travel advice
Saguaro sorted itself out well enough but the next morning I discovered I'd lost my car keys. I tore the car apart... more travel advice
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Chiricahua National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Beautiful Chiricahuas"
- "The Great Escape: Chiricahua National Monument"
- "Chiricahua National Monument"
- ""Wonderland of Rocks""
- "Islands in the Sky"
- "Chiricahua National Monument - AZ - USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chiricahua National Monument
- Hotels in Chiricahua National Monument
- Transportation in Chiricahua National Monument
- Restaurants in Chiricahua National Monument
- Shopping in Chiricahua National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiricahua National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chiricahua National Monument
- 15 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Chiricahua National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiricahua National Monument
- updated a Chiricahua National Monument Travel Page "The Great Escape: Chiricahua National Monument"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Chiricahua National Monument travel pages
- Wrote a Review Faraway Ranch Historic District in Chiricahua National Monument Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Faraway Ranch Historic District"
Photos in Chiricahua National MonumentSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos