"A mad rush through the Soca Valley" Nova Gorica by richiecdisc

Nova Gorica Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 46 photos

It’s funny how the order in which places are visited has a profound effect on how you perceive them. If I had gotten my way, I would have happened upon Nova Gorica after doing a long hike in the Soca Valley, and tired from the exertion and perhaps from fighting the elements, I would have relished in the creature comforts that even a characterless city such as this can give. It would be nice to sit and eat a meal cooked by someone else, sleep in a bed rather than a sleeping bag, and finally take a shower. But this was not the case, the weather had not been good and I had decided that a jaunt down to the Slovenia coast would be time better spent rather than try and hike in the rain. So, I drove through, coming from the very pretty Piran, and was so unimpressed that I never got out of the car. Still, the area around Nova Gorica is beautiful in a gentle way that makes you want to stay, or in my case, come back. From the turquoise waters of the flowing Soca River to the rocky outcroppings of the Karst region, with some of the most amazing caves in the world, this area of Slovenia is not to be missed.

• Last visit to Nova Gorica: Oct 2001
  • Intro Written Sep 12, 2002

• sabrepoint's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2007 at 6:24 PM

True. A highlight of our trip! NZ's Waitomo Caves pale into insignificance (not very loyal to my home country, but true).

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2006 at 5:15 PM

Sigh, I have never yet made it to this fabled part of Europe. Hopefully, you will leave something for me to explore! Hey, I always wondered where that famous 'backpack photo' was taken!!!

• demonia's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2003 at 11:19 AM

The famous picture! I found it! :D

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2003 at 3:03 PM

Maybe not a destination, but a very interesting wayside. I like the abandoned village of Stanjel.

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2003 at 10:20 PM

super page of very interesting place.

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2003 at 9:54 AM

very interesting tips,mainly the diving one in tourist traps!
    soca valley smells italy too,for its past...a surprising and successful mixture slovenia/italy styles...

• dabuwan's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2003 at 4:57 PM

Great pics and interesting tips. I've been so often in Nova Gorica city, but I never realized there is so much to see around town. Thanx!

• blaird's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2003 at 4:23 PM

Interesting thoughts on the area.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2002 at 8:44 PM

Nice job!

• DPando's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2002 at 5:43 AM

exc page!!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Nova Gorica

Have you been to Nova Gorica?

Latest Activity in Nova Gorica