"On Finally Making it to Marvelous Mittenwald" Top 5 Page for this destination Mittenwald by richiecdisc

Mittenwald Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 287 photos

Mittenwald is a marvelous mountain town less than two hours south of Munich by train, nestled in the German Alps on the Austrian border. A touristy town for sure, it remains a charmer with quaint old buildings, friendly locals, and lots of amenities to make your stay pleasant. At just under 1000m with jagged peaks surrounding it like fortress walls, its setting is stunning and its obvious calling card. While the German Alps get half the press of neighboring Switzerland and Austria, they are in some ways even more spectacular as they rise from a lower plateau than their cousins, in dramatic fashion. Perhaps their biggest drawback is their accessibility making for a of lack of the solitude you might be seeking but that can be a plus too as they are an easy day trip from big city comforts. But why rush when rooms are reasonable and peaks aplenty hem you in at every turn.

The first trip to Mittenwald was great but it took some special visitors to get us to return. When my Dad and sister came to Munich for a couple weeks, we knew we'd have to show them some of Bavaria. Mittenwald fit the bill and they loved it. So, this page is a combination of a hiking-oriented weekend I did with my wife a few years ago and a more recent shorter stop to show visiting family the cute Bavarian town. To see how it all got started go here

• Last visit to Mittenwald: Jul 2013
  • Intro Updated Apr 10, 2014

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2014 at 5:05 AM

Richie, this is a fantastic page! Great to see you back in action again, especially because of those amazingly beautiful photos you have shown us! Sue and I need to pull up our socks and take a closer look at continental Europe based on what you have shown me. All the best to you, Glenn

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Yesterday

Don't tempt me! I just finished an Alexander Keith "India Pale Ale" from Nova Scotia!!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
      Yesterday

Remember Alexander Keith from my old Canada days. Maibocks are out now here, one of my favorite styles in Germany though increasingly hard to find.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Great photos of the Lautersee and mountains! Somehow I didn’t know about the violin-making tradition in Mittenwald, but I suppose that is no wonder as I have never been there. Since the Mittenwald Brewery claims to be the highest elevation privately-owned brewery in the world, that must mean there is a corporate brewery someplace that is even higher.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I have enjoyed doing my virtual trek with you up to the Mountain's. I didn't have time for that, but really enjoyed the town of Mittenwald.
    Lovely page!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I guess I knew that Germany has a slice of the Alps but somehow I never considered that it would have such gorgeous alpine scenery! The town looks rather lovely too - worth braving the crowds for it seems :-)

• Jul 11, 2011 at 10:32 PM

this is the type of mountain scenery i long for and dream about. i would simply love to do a hike and explore the area. hopefully one day!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Oh my god..... I realise how much the colours green-blue-white mean to me! Fantastic landscapes with the little huts and storage huts..... Oh my, when do you write your beer guide?? And compliments: your German is getting better every day :-)

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Looking forward to heading back to the mountains hopefully soon :)

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Mittenwald

Have you been to Mittenwald?