"Don't Be Afraid of Peru" Peru by richiecdisc
Peru Travel Guide: 7,807 reviews and 20,775 photos
While Peru conjures images of lush cloud-enshrouded forest and mystical ancient ruins, it has also garnered its fair share of bad press regarding general safety with special emphasis on mass transit and petty theft. There are incidents of the latter and bus journeys are somewhat adventurous affairs due to the aggressive style of driving in South American countries. But it can be stated quite emphatically that with a reasonable degree of precaution, neither should be a problem and certainly not a deterrent to one’s choice of potential travel destinations. Peru offers a variety of terrains, fantastic colonial cities, remnants of its Indian past in ruins and an interesting thriving indigenous population all at a fraction of the cost of North American or European destinations. While there may be a few overly aggressive individuals after your tourist dollars, the population in general is refreshingly friendly and cannot seem to do enough to help you if you make even a minimal effort to speak Spanish. So, by all means, do not be afraid of Peru and all that it has to offer just because of exaggerated or outdated fears. Peru has changed with the times and is ready for your exploration now.
Backpacks offer not only the means to do multi-day hiking trips but also are the most practical for getting from the bus... more travel advice
If you are in reasonably good health and have the desire to go to Machu Picchu, then by all means, don't take the train,... more travel advice
- See All Do some backpacking in the Cordillera...
- Puno is just one of many great market...
- Think globally, drink locally....
- Nothing beats local transport....
- Take the local buses when you can.
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Peru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One Gringa's Peru"
- "The heart of America"
- "Roads less traveled in Peru"
- "Proud to be peruvian!"
- "Peru, my first taste of the Andes and the jungle"
- "Paul2001's Travels Through Peru"
- "And, now, ladies and gentlemen : mas abajo !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peru
- Hotels in Peru
- Transportation in Peru
- Nightlife in Peru
- Restaurants in Peru
- Shopping in Peru
- Warnings and Dangers in Peru
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peru
- 234 Reviews
- 244 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (118)
Have you been to Peru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peru
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos