"Leave no leaf unturned: Ecuador's Jungle" Provincia de Napo by richiecdisc
Provincia de Napo Travel Guide: 169 reviews and 784 photos
When most people think of the jungle their thoughts run to the Amazon and though a few countries can claim having a portion of the massive river within their boundaries Brazil is most popularly seen as the access point for such visits. Few realize just how big Brazil is and accordingly how far the river is from any of its International airports making visits time consuming and expensive. Tributaries of the Amazon while perhaps not as romantic offer the intrepid traveler a chance to experience the jungle a bit closer to civilization and thus reduce some of its inherent cost and travel time. One such area is that surrounding the Napo River in Ecuador. This small South American country is terrain dense and the relative close proximity of a a few massive volcanoes in such close proximity to a lush jungle is just one of its alluring signatures. That you can fly into capital Quito and be in either the high Andes or floating down a tributary of the Amazon in a few hours time is part of Ecuador's great appeal.
The Napo River, much like the Amazon is a ?jungle highway? and to truly experience the jungle as most envision it, one must get onto one of the smaller streams that meander from it. It's only then that the world you came from finally fades away and more than the profuse and diverse wildlife you'll undoubtedly encounter, it's this very separation from civilization that you will cherish most.
The stream we chose was the Challuayacu which led to Lake Challuacocha where the Isla Sani contingent of the great Kichwa community has created a little paradise known as Sani Lodge. It was a choice we were glad we made. If you're in the mood for the jungle, perhaps you should too.
Eventually you'll find yourself wanting to swim in the lake as it's hot and muggy. With some hours to kill you'll forget... more travel advice
One of the activities of the lodge was trying out the old blowgun. Our native guide gave us a physical demonstration... more travel advice
- See All cayman watching
- jamming in the jungle
- sharing a bowl
- good but not enough for us
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Provincia de Napo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Leave no leaf unturned: Ecuador's Jungle"
- "Amazon of Ecuador"
- "The Ecuatorian Amazonia"
- "Provincia de Napo -- The Ecuadorian Amazon"
- "Gate to the jungle of the Amazones"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincia de Napo
- Hotels in Provincia de Napo
- Transportation in Provincia de Napo
- Nightlife in Provincia de Napo
- Restaurants in Provincia de Napo
- Shopping in Provincia de Napo
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de Napo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de Napo
- 19 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Provincia de Napo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de Napo
- updated a Provincia de Napo Travel Page "Leave no leaf unturned: Ecuador's Jungle"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "jamming in the jungle"
- Wrote a Review swimming with the caymans and piranhas in Provincia de Napo Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of Luchonda's Provincia de Napo travel pages
Photos in Provincia de NapoSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos