Colombia Packing List Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination
Colombia What to Pack: 7 reviews and 2 photos
flying home after a very successful trip to CO
Luggage and bags: When traveling around a big country like Colombia by bus, you will appreciate having a backpack. It greatly facilitates getting from point A to point B. Forget the wheeled suitcases especially in rural areas and even in cities, don't expect the nice flat surfaces like "back home."
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: With its varied terrains, Colombia necessitates many different types of clothes and dressing in layers truly applies here. Though on the coast, it can be hot, you are more likely to be cold if traveling elsewhere in the country if not prepared.
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: One thing we wished we brought more of was sun screen as our stay in this amazing country was very, very sunny! :)
Photo Equipment: I used a Canon Rebel. It is a good mid-priced camera and even if I could afford more, I am not sure I could carry it on long treks like I did in Colombia. The Rebel is relatively light but with my three lenses still weighs over 10 lbs, a lot to carry when climbing at 4000m. I have a 10-22mm Canon lens which is great for capturing buildings/landscapes and allows me to bring the foreground into my photos. I have a 70-300 Canon zoom with Image Stabilization which worked well for wildlife and sneaky people photos.
Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: We lugged a tent, lightweight camping stove, sleeping bags, mats, and all our our trekking clothes not only to but also around Colombia. It was a lot of work but well worth the effort. Look into hiring if only doing smaller treks but for us this made the most sense as we did a few things where having the stuff made our trip cheaper and more enjoyable as we love backpacking.
Miscellaneous: As with all things, having the right people with you can make all the difference and I am very lucky to be married to a very understanding and loving woman. I know how hard it was to do El Cocuy for me and know very well how much she sacrificed in doing it. Let me put it this way, we started the trek (unwittingly, really!) on our 5th wedding anniversary. Thank you D. You really are the very best.
More Reviews (51)
- if I could bring back fruit....
- Is Colombia safe?
- a country devoid of traditional tourist...
- trekking in Colombia is great
- just fruit
- See All the best beer in Colomba comes at a...
- See All the classic meals of Colombia
- See All the place to stay in Mompós
- See All one big country requires different modes
- See All wildlife
- See All Tunja is NOT just a transit hub
- See All stop we did to smell its wonderful...
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Colombia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Now on the Menu: Colombia"
- "Colombia - the friendliest people in the world !"
- "Colombia: An Undiscovered Land"
- "Colombia Maravillosa"
- "Colombia - my second home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colombia
- Hotels in Colombia
- Transportation in Colombia
- Nightlife in Colombia
- Restaurants in Colombia
- Shopping in Colombia
- Warnings and Dangers in Colombia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colombia
- 566 Reviews
- 1,222 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Colombia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colombia
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- updated a Colombia Travel Page "Now on the Menu: Colombia"
- Wrote a Review the most important ingredient: D in Colombia What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "the most important ingredient: D"
- Commented on one of darthmilmo's Colombia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos