Colombia Packing List Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination

Colombia What to Pack: 7 reviews and 2 photos

flying home after a very successful trip to CO - Colombia

flying home after a very successful trip to CO

the most important ingredient: D

Luggage and bags: When traveling around a big country like Colombia by bus, you will appreciate having a backpack. It greatly facilitates getting from point A to point B. Forget the wheeled suitcases especially in rural areas and even in cities, don't expect the nice flat surfaces like "back home."

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: With its varied terrains, Colombia necessitates many different types of clothes and dressing in layers truly applies here. Though on the coast, it can be hot, you are more likely to be cold if traveling elsewhere in the country if not prepared.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: One thing we wished we brought more of was sun screen as our stay in this amazing country was very, very sunny! :)

Photo Equipment: I used a Canon Rebel. It is a good mid-priced camera and even if I could afford more, I am not sure I could carry it on long treks like I did in Colombia. The Rebel is relatively light but with my three lenses still weighs over 10 lbs, a lot to carry when climbing at 4000m. I have a 10-22mm Canon lens which is great for capturing buildings/landscapes and allows me to bring the foreground into my photos. I have a 70-300 Canon zoom with Image Stabilization which worked well for wildlife and sneaky people photos.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: We lugged a tent, lightweight camping stove, sleeping bags, mats, and all our our trekking clothes not only to but also around Colombia. It was a lot of work but well worth the effort. Look into hiring if only doing smaller treks but for us this made the most sense as we did a few things where having the stuff made our trip cheaper and more enjoyable as we love backpacking.

Miscellaneous: As with all things, having the right people with you can make all the difference and I am very lucky to be married to a very understanding and loving woman. I know how hard it was to do El Cocuy for me and know very well how much she sacrificed in doing it. Let me put it this way, we started the trek (unwittingly, really!) on our 5th wedding anniversary. Thank you D. You really are the very best.

• Updated Feb 13, 2011

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Colombia

• 1,222 Photos

Have you been to Colombia?

Latest Activity in Colombia