Colombia Nightlife Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination

Colombia Nightlife: 17 reviews and 14 photos

a nice setting but too much like back home? - Colombia

a nice setting but too much like back home?

Bogotá Beer Co.: the best beer in Colomba comes at a price

When in South America, I rarely look for “American” food as people from the US like to call our national cuisine. I can get that at home all the time and generally only seek it out if in the middle of a long trip in a fairly boring country when it comes to food. The exception of course is when it come to beer made in a small brewery. Sure, Bogota Beer Company would have perhaps served me better if about a month into our two month sojourn to Colombia but that's not where Bogota fell on our trip. I had checked out their website in advance and knew it was quite pricey. For this reason, the original plan was to eat a hearty meal before going and just shell out the big bucks for their beer. Even at that, I was planning on only having one unless the beer was particularly good. Unfortunately, Doreen came down with a bad headache and a nap was more in order than a meal but after that she was ready go and we figured we would just eat at the brewery with time waning.

Now, the reason we came: the beers. Even though I had sworn off trying all the beers, I went for their lightest offering hoping the décor of the place was not just leading me astray. The Candelaria Classic (5% alcohol) was light golden with a fluffy white head and decent lacework. It had a great malt presence and fair hopping for a semi-dry slightly bitter finish. A sure notch above Club Colombia. Doreen loves dark beer and wasted no time by ordering the Chapinero Porter (5%) which was served via nitro tap ala Guinness. This dark brown beauty had a dense tan head and a nice roast chocolate palate. The finish was very clean, semi-dry and bittersweet. All was good so far so I ordered their Monserrate Roja (5%) which was deep amber with a rocky dense head. This was a classic Western US Coast amber with perhaps a tad less Cascade hops which made for a more balanced beer. Nice roast malt and very clean dry finish. Bitter but not crazily so. Pints were a again not cheap at 9,000 COP or $4.50, a pretty standard price in the US but certainly not Colombia.

This is not a must stop for a person visiting Bogota but if you like good beer and want to try Colombia's best, this is the place to go. It is pricey but the experience is pretty much exactly as you would get in the US if even more welcoming. Though I initially took it as a nice escape from the reality of town, it is actually very much what many natives of Bogota not only crave but frequent. It's obviously not built for tourists as it's a long way from where most tourists are likely to be.

Directions: In Bogotá

Theme: Eating and Drinking

nice & warming: canelazo - Colombia

nice & warming: canelazo

Heibredo: nice place to try canelazo

You could easily spend your evenings having a few beers at one of the local restaurants and probably have a more down to earth authentic experience but the truth is there are lots of different types of places for nightlife in Bogota ranging from discos and salsa dance clubs to trendy cafes. Despite some of them being quite pricey, they are full of locals. The truth is there are a lot of well to do people in the country's capital. While I tend to stay away from such places it is sometimes nice to indulge yourself. You will pay a lot more for a given beverage but compared to drinking in a similar place back home, it's still a bargain. We saw a very cute little place while walking around Candelaria and noticed they had canelazo. We had been exposed to this hot alcoholic beverage in Quito a few years earlier and decided this looked like a nice place to have one.

Heibredo had a warm feel to it and with a Christmas tree in the corner, it was the perfect place to spend the day after New Years. There was a cozy fireplace and comfy couch to sit on. With low lighting, it was quite romantic. The canelazo was good size and strong. It is made of heated agua de panelo (sugar cane paste with water) and aguadiente (a licorice-based alcohol). It is perfect on a cool evening and great in front of a Christmas tree much like Gluehwein in Germany. It was 1300 COP or $6.50 for the two drinks. As perfect as the downstairs was we could not understand why everyone that came in went upstairs, leaving the cozy little spot entirely for us but on going up to use the restroom we discovered that the upstairs was great as well and quite busy. There were bigger tables low to the ground with cushions for people to sit on. We thought we might go back on our return to Bogota but wound up making our own canelazo back at the hostel and drinking it outside in our little courtyard which was very nice too.

Directions: In Bogotá

Theme: Adult Spot

• Written Feb 13, 2011
beer is cheaper in cheap restaurants than in clubs - Colombia

beer is cheaper in cheap restaurants than in clubs

various, check individual pages for details: not ones to stay out late but...

Colombia is particularly noted for its nightlife with dancing taking a central stage especially in big cities like Bogotá and Cali. Some might say the latter has little else to offer aside from its vibrant salsa clubs. Be that as it may, my days of dancing till dawn have been over for a number of years. In another time perhaps I would have joined the sweaty masses but as long as I've been traveling around South America I have adhered to an early to bed mantra. It has kept me safe from late night encounters with those trying to separate me from my money and/or property as well as allowing me to rise early to take photos when the light is best and the crowds most sparse. Now, I don't go to bed right after dinner but I find that an early photo shoot, a full day of sightseeing/snacking around, and a large meal with a few beers in the early evening has me ready for bed long before the clubs even start to hop. That said, I am all for seeking out local beers and/or drinks and Colombia sure had its share of them. In fact, while the country's mainstream beers were no better than any of their South American counterparts, there were a few very tasty ones made by small independent brewers, most notably Bogotá Beer Company in the country's capital.

Below are some of our favorites.

Directions: Details in my pages for various destinations in Colombia but favorites below.

Theme: Eating and Drinking

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Colombia

• 1,222 Photos

Have you been to Colombia?

Latest Activity in Colombia