"Tread Softly: Laos" Top 5 Page for this destination Laos by richiecdisc

Laos Travel Guide: 3,733 reviews and 9,311 photos

Laos does not grab a lion’s share of travelers that pass through Southeast Asia. Lacking the easy access of Thailand, spectacular sights like Angkor Wat in Cambodia, and more publicized outcries of war ravages of Vietnam, the land-locked little country has to rely on its unspoiled, friendly people as its main draw. Though devoid of beaches, it is full of scenic rivers and enticing mountain scenery much like neighboring tourist-flooded countries, but what separates little Laos from its competitors is a native population that has yet to learn that tourists translate into dollars. It is this simple fact that makes the country such a joy to travel around. It will undoubtedly not last forever so by all means, visit Laos before the friendly smiles of Laos are no longer free.

• Last visit to Laos: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 26, 2004

• AngieGo's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2009 at 11:14 AM

That's endearing. :)

• Feb 7, 2009 at 11:07 AM

it is great photo..:) I am Lao guy and happy to see that you love My country ...Yeah!! LAOS

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2008 at 2:55 AM

great tips

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2007 at 11:15 AM

It's just another six weeks to my Laos/Vietnam adventure. We're going to take a slow boat to Luang Prabang, but your report on the night spent with rats does put me off. Bth, great, helpful, practical tips.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2007 at 12:55 AM

Fascinating to read about your adventures, oh my god, border crossing seems to be quite a job... The food looks so delicious, I get hungry now and can't get something like that here. Marvellous landscapes !

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2006 at 10:02 AM

Great page and pictures - outstanding sceneries, mountains, rivers, architecture. Great destination before Laos becomes more touristy, I guess.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2006 at 3:27 PM

Great tips as usual Richie - all very useful for our upcoming trip to Laos! Thanks for sharing.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2006 at 7:47 AM

I knew there were several reasons not to go! (great read though)

• stedeb's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2005 at 6:12 PM

Richie love the pics we arre planning a trip in 06 and your pages have given us loads of tips. Great pages.

• mad4travel's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2005 at 2:07 PM

Laos looks soo nice. I'm off there in December-can't wait!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Laos