"Oh Holy Beer" Westvleteren by richiecdisc

Westvleteren Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 105 photos

The Belgian countryside has remained fairly anonymous but that’s a good thing for those who venture off the tourist route of Brussels and Bruges. Antwerp and Ghent might sneak their way into even the first time visitors’ itinerary but few even manage that. This is not so odd. After all, Belgium conjures images of medieval cities and chocolates to most and these are most readily found in the aforementioned places. Oh, perhaps beer has joined the ranks of must sees even for those who would normally not drink the stuff. With so many varieties it’s certainly hard to completely ignore! But when one gets beyond mere ignorance and truly decides to explore both Belgium and its wonderful beers, the countryside is bound to beckon you. With a surplus of charming towns and villages not to mention some picturesque monasteries, it is a country that will quietly seduce even the most jaded of travelers. Westvletteren is one such excursion where a quest for some of the world’s greatest beers becomes intermingled with a drive in the countryside that culminates in an age old monastery. Or perhaps one could say the beer is the culmination to the drive. The chicken or the egg doesn’t really matter, does it? Just go.

• Intro Updated Mar 2, 2007

• alza's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 3:09 PM

forgot to leave a comment the other day but reading this was fun (even if I get confused between beers) I'd love a trip like that in Belgium. My best waffle was in Ostende. Cheers!

• Apr 4, 2007 at 10:51 AM

"Grand Cru"page here, did you try the soup in combi with the beer? Cheers from BC

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2007 at 1:53 AM

Caro got a bit lost when she took us to Hoegaarden a few years ago. Perhaps navigation is not her strong point ;-) I had the best waffles I ever had in Brussels many many moons ago.

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 7:46 AM

Great page! I love your tips...the way you describe things make me feel like I'm also experiencing what you've experienced.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 4:40 AM

Excellent page. Huh, I am still at the office, 4 hours or so untill I get a beer ;-)

• Antji's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2007 at 11:42 AM

OOhh..., the hot fresh waffles look soo delicous! That is a reason to visit Belgium one day! so now I am hungry and I will take a look in my kitchen!;) great page richie! ciaociao from rainy Dresden

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2007 at 2:46 PM

ah waffles & beer + a good guide always helps!

• JosM's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 12:41 PM

I love you beer descriptions. Luckily Caro was driving, with the numbers of beers you had !

• LysDor's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 5:15 AM

Of course the waffles should be hot with that mouthwatering caramelisation on some tips - yammy!!

• B_Caro's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2007 at 4:04 AM

... indeed a heavenly stop, and difficult to find with all the fog that day LOL

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Westvleteren

Have you been to Westvleteren?