"Truly Wild Wyoming" Top 5 Page for this destination Wyoming by richiecdisc

Wyoming Travel Guide: 2,813 reviews and 8,194 photos

Now, we're talking cowboys. The drive into Wyoming sets the scene perfectly with ranch after ranch: cattle everywhere. There are certainly more cattle than people as Wyoming is the least populated state in the union. But that only tells part of the story. There's more than cattle in them there hills. Along with the gentle beauty of Yellowstone comes a diverse animal population which includes moose, elk, deer, buffalo, black bear, and one of two remaining grizzly populations in the lower 48. If that weren't enough, the jagged peaks of the Rockies are at their most impressive in the Tetons. Add to that touristy frontier towns like Jackson and Wyoming offers a slice of Americana that is tough to beat. So, what are you waiting for, head on out to the wild and open expanses of a place we call Wyoming.

a tale of two trips

I have been to Wyoming two times, once in 1994 and again in 2008. I covered similar ground but got to know the area much better on the second trip, spending far more time in some of my favorite parks. This page is a combination of the two trips with older tips updated and new ones added.

• Last visit to Wyoming: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2009

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Richie, this is an excellent overview of Wyoming and your many amazing adventures in it over the years! Your beautiful photos and informative tips make me want to head south immediately! After all, it is not that far from Saskatchewan.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Enjoyed revisiting the page that helped me plan for Wyoming a few years back :-) Shame you & D never made it to the Devil's Tower - I found lots to like in that quieter part of the state, especially the Big Horns. So you have an excuse to go back one day!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Yep-it is wide open spaces. We went through here for a coupe of days in July and got trapped in huge hail storm by Cody. Wow, weather makes you tough up there.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 7:46 AM

Ohh, ok, I know for the rest of my life - stay out of berry batches... at least where bears are living. Hard... Oh yes, Deveil's Tower, how sad that you couldn't show it to D :-) But then there is always the movie :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 5:36 AM

More bears! Many years ago we had to cut short a canoe trip in the Quetico-Superior region (Minnesota-Ontario) because bears took most of our food. We thought we had stowed it properly, but found out that baby bears can climb trees.

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2009 at 4:13 PM

It is a shame we didn't get to visit the devils tower..maybe next time :)

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Amazing page! I think Wyoming's landscape is awesome.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 2:50 PM

Nice pictures Richie,nothing about Wind River Range?

• Jul 18, 2006 at 12:50 PM

Great job covering the Tetons!

• nomada's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 2:28 AM

Hi Richie ! Thanks so much for your ideas... will only have space to pack a good zoom lens and maybe a pair of boots for dancing at night :) Regards.

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Wyoming

Have you been to Wyoming?

Latest Activity in Wyoming