Washington State Shopping Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination
Washington State Shopping: 4 reviews and 4 photos
enjoying hanging with friends in Seattle
This is like an old world German butcher shop. As soon as you walk in, you feel like you crossed a border with the owners as well as many of the customers speaking German. It's hard to explain to anyone that has not been to Germany or more importantly to a shop like this in Germany but it's just different. It's been here in Burien, WA for 28 years.
What to buy: The make their own homepage sausages and other lunch meats which all translate to one thing to Germans: wurst. Our good friend who lives in Seattle is from Munich and was feeling quite homesick when we were there. He had not been home in a couple years. On reading about this place, we decided to have a "German Night" for him at his house. We bought some ham, small sausages and cheese at the deli. Unfortunately, a bakery that makes German bread and soft pretzels was closed that day but luckily the deli carries some of their products though mostly frozen. We got some of these baked goods too.
His wife had bought him some Augustiner beer from Munich. We brought everything back and had a biergarten night and he was very touched by our efforts though I think his wife, who is Japanese American, liked the pretzels even more than him!
Address: 717 S.W. 148th St., Burien, WA
Directions: Burien is about 20 minutes south of Seattle off I-5.
Theme: Food and Drink
you can always buy a tent at REI
REI is like an attraction in itself. Even if you are not looking to buy anything, if you have an interest in the great outdoors, you'll love walking around and checking out their equipment. This cooperative was set up by a climber couple back in 1938 and while it has become much more mainstream, it remains a cornerstone in the outdoor equipment market. Members pay $20 once and receive 10% of their purchases back at the end of the year. Non-members may also shop there.
The one is Seattle is the original flagship store. It's massive and quite a sight. There is a big climbing wall as soon as you walk in and floors of great gear. You won't believe you are in a store strictly selling stuff for the great outdoors.
What to buy: What To Buy: REI carries mostly high end products though their own line of equipment, especially the tents are quite affordable. Tents, sleeping bags, mats, cookers, hiking poles, boots, and socks are all well-stocked. We replaced our tent at the one in Oakland on our recent trip when our old one kicked it. We got D some new boots at this Seattle store after she shredded her old pair with mega miles in the summer of 2008.
The also carry lots of great clothing, some perfect for hiking/backpacking so if looking to get into these sports, it's a great place to shop.
They have bikes, kayaks, and canoes. If it involves being outside, they have it.
Leave a Comment
What to pay: Good equipment is not cheap and REI is not a bargain store but they are competitive.
One great time to go is for their used gear sales. We hit one while in Seattle. They open up the top floor and sell returned stuff. You have to do some hunting but there are some great deals to be found. I would be careful with boots. If returned, they may be leaking but clothing should be easy enough to see if they are okay.
Directions: In downtown Seattle.
Theme: Sporting Goods
More Reviews (24)
- See All Dungeness Spit
- Washington State Backpacking
- craft beer pioneer
- watch the tides
- See All Olympic National Park
- Washington State Camping
- See All in honor of Bert Grant: Brewing Pioneer
- See All Big Time Brewing.
- Packing List
- ferries are a part of life in Washington...
- Though you will invariably...
Been to Washington State?Share your travels with the world!
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Washington State Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Washington, the Northwestern Corner of the US"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Washington State: Terrainius Maximus"
- "WASHINGTON STATE"
- "High Desert and Heavy Rain: depends on where"
- "marko727's new Washington Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Washington State
- Hotels in Washington State
- Transportation in Washington State
- Nightlife in Washington State
- Restaurants in Washington State
- Shopping in Washington State
- Warnings and Dangers in Washington State
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pointe-Gatineau Hotels
- North Sulawesi Province
- San Antonio Palopó
- Tincup Hotels
- Coron Island Hotels
- Badwater Hotels
Badges & Stats in Washington State
- 151 Reviews
- 230 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Washington State?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washington State
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Wrote a Review Dungeness Spit in Washington State Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dungeness Spit"
- updated a Washington State Travel Page "Washington State: Terrainius Maximus"
- Commented on one of Jonathan_C's Washington State travel pages
Photos in Washington StateSee All Photos (230)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
Top Washington State hotels
- Seattle Hotels
- 3132 Reviews - 7615 Photos
- Spokane Hotels
- 147 Reviews - 229 Photos
- Ocean Shores Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 84 Photos
- Leavenworth Hotels
- 135 Reviews - 360 Photos
- Bellevue Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 60 Photos
- Anacortes Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 100 Photos
- Federal Way Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 30 Photos
- Tacoma Hotels
- 178 Reviews - 602 Photos
- Centralia Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 73 Photos
- Port Angeles Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 76 Photos
- Bremerton Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 150 Photos
- Issaquah Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 24 Photos
- Kennewick Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 6 Photos
- Olympic National Park Hotels
- 296 Reviews - 763 Photos
- Port Orchard Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 66 Photos