"Oregon: A Treasure Often Overlooked" Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon by richiecdisc

Oregon Travel Guide: 5,204 reviews and 13,361 photos

Despite all its physical beauty, Oregon is a state that is often overlooked. When people go west, young man, it's normally to the golden state of California. Too expensive, lacking adventure? Washington fills the void. But there is Oregon, squashed between the two, lucky to lure transients from one to the other, speeding on its Interstate.

no lack of scenic treasures

Its rugged coast garners its fair share in transit but exploration of the state as its own entity is still lagging. It's not for lack of scenic treasures. Aside from its admittedly gorgeous coast, Oregon boasts a strong candidate for the most stunning lake in the world, a myriad of pretty waterfalls set in lush temperate rain forest, an iconic mountain peak, a hip alternative city, and even a vast desert. Sound like Washington? It should but subtract half the people and you will soon wonder why you are not one of them.

a tale of three trips

I have been to Oregon three times. The first time in the fall of 1994 was a real surprise. I was driving down from Washington State after falling in love with the National Parks there as well as Seattle only to find Oregon was every bit its equal. The second trip was a brief stopover in Portland on my way back from Alaska. The most recent visit was in the summer of 2008. It was great showing the gorgeous state to my wife who had never been. We did not cover quite as much ground as I had on my initial trip but we spent more time enjoying the things we did see. This page will be a combination of those trips. Hope it makes you want to visit the great state of Oregon soon.

• Last visit to Oregon: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 30, 2009

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2011 at 10:16 AM

A fine introduction to Oregon! Makes me realize how much I missed when I went through there many years ago. I never knew there was a Lavender Valley in Oregon, on the same latitude as southern France.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Richie, how did I miss this updated page from its early beginnings?! Great tips on ruggedly beautiful Oregon and a place that is definitely on my 'must see' list!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2009 at 11:12 AM

The more I read of your Oregon adventures, the more I start to recall our own, including our first US microbrewery somewhere on the OR coast! I really must sort through the old 35mm pics ...

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 2:17 AM

My god, Oregon seems to be THE beer country! I am amazed about the flavours :-) Oh and yes, the temperate rainforest of Silver Falls any time for me, and the beautiful campgrounds as well :-) Oh and Lavender Valley :-)

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Maybe you did't get a room but at least a filet mignon....

• sennaya's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Wow, very picturesque photo! Thanks for sharing. We hope to see it soon!

• alza's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2007 at 8:37 PM

glad you have such beautiful pics of places I want to visit soon! Some pics are amazing! Deschutes is one place on my list.

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 8:05 PM

It's a long way from Floriday, but I agree it's time for you to return. I'm glad you appeciate my home state!

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2005 at 3:05 AM

I think you are long overdue a return visit to Oregon - this time to the east side.:o)

• blue_sky04's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2004 at 6:16 PM

Great pictures and nice description. I certainly agree with you that Oregon has beautiful places to visit as I lived there for 1.5 years & visited some of those fantastic places including the Crater Lake.

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Oregon