Caraz Hotel Tips by richiecdisc
Caraz Hotels: 3 reviews and 3 photos
the calm before the storm
Another gem of a campground on the trek, again with a 360 panorama view of peaks, including the 3750m pass you will have to cross in the morning.
Unique Qualities: We relaxed the most at this site as the weather was warm and sunny. I even went down to a stream and did a quick (and cold) wash up. The skull on a huge bolder was the perfect foreground for a few photos.
Directions: A relativel short ridge walk after you drop from the Alpamayo Base Camp. It would be easier without the driving rain in your face though!
a true paradise, alpamayo base camp
Though not directly on the Santa Cruz Trek, it is well worth the extra effort to climb up to the base camp for technical climbs of one of Peru's most gorgeous peaks, Alpamayo.
Unique Qualities: From the campground, you can look down into the tail end of the Quebrada Santa Cruz and if you are lucky, watch the setting sun on the stunning peaks. We had a great spot with a huge tree for protection and a man made stone wind break for cooking. In the morning, pack up your gear, hide it, and head up to the calving glacier a half hour further up the trail.
Llama Coral was just that, a big stone enclosure used to pen up llamas.
Unique Qualities: The stone fences gave you some relief from the whipping winds up the valley and there were pit toilets too. Add to that the fantastic views of jagged peaks in all directions and you have one nice place to bed down for the night.
Directions: About eight kilometers and maybe a thousand meters up from Cashapampa (trailhead).
More Reviews (22)
- watch the weight but bring what you need
- See All does it get better than calving...
- See All Quebrada Santa Cruz
- See All An early morning collectivo....
- backpacking is great!
- See All beware of farm animals
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Caraz Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Caraz
- Hotels in Caraz
- Transportation in Caraz
- Nightlife in Caraz
- Restaurants in Caraz
- Shopping in Caraz
- Warnings and Dangers in Caraz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caraz
- 25 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Caraz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caraz
Photos in CarazSee All Photos (26)
Read real reviews about Caraz Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos