"The "special" shine in Cusco" Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco by richiecdisc
Cusco Travel Guide: 1,095 reviews and 2,384 photos
Cusco has a lineage unlike few cities in the world. Considered the most beautiful city in South America, it not only is the central travel hub of the continent but also is the oldest continuously inhabited city. Add to this, it’s near mythic associations with the Inca culture, close proximity to the continents number one attraction, Machu Picchu, and trek, the Inca Trail, and you have all the makings of a cannot miss attraction. But, all this fame and fortune has come at a price. The tourist infrastructure is beyond complete and anything you want, you can find here. All that but the simple ability to sit in the admittedly gorgeous Plaza de Armas without being nearly accosted by people trying to sell you something. And I mean, sit. They literally come up to you and not only make an attempt to sell you something, but never give up. Even after securing a hard to find bench in the park, it is the strong willed that could remain and listen to their shameless banter. Cusco does have one saving grace however. You can escape this madness by simply walking out of the main square and into the narrow cobbled paths that lead to the hilly areas surrounding the city center. It is here that one can sense just why Cusco became so popular in the first place. It is a timeless gem and it can only be hoped that those in control of the city’s destiny realize that tourists come not only to see an ancient civilization’s roots, but also to relax as anyone would on what is essentially their holiday. Everyone going to Peru is bound to come to Cusco, but if it remains as it is, the advice is to see it and go on your way quickly and experience more authentic and less aggressively minded Peruvian cities.
People will try and sell you a tour to the Sacred Valley and included will be a visit to the stunning Sacsayhuaman... more travel advice
Some stuffed animals if you like that sort of thing and of course, another lovely courtyard, what else. more travel advice
- ability to laugh
- See All things go better with Cuscuena
- transport yourself back in time
- the best can become the worst
- step back in time on the backstreets of...
- See All an English pub run by an Aussie in Cusco
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Cusco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cusco and the Sacred Valley"
- "The center of the Empire"
- "The "special" shine in Cusco"
- "Cusco - "Navel of the Earth""
- "A window on Cuzco"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cusco
- Hotels in Cusco
- Transportation in Cusco
- Nightlife in Cusco
- Restaurants in Cusco
- Shopping in Cusco
- Warnings and Dangers in Cusco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cusco
- 30 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Cusco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cusco
Photos in CuscoSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos