"Huaraz: The Acclimatization Project" Top 5 Page for this destination Huaraz by richiecdisc
Huaraz Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 285 photos
Nestled in Peru’s majestic mountain range, the Cordillera Blanca, Huaraz is a Mecca for true backpackers; yet it has surprisingly escaped becoming a tourist trap ala Machu Picchu or Cuzco. Innumerable earthquakes have decimated the city so it lacks the historical buildings of Cuzco or Lima and though there are ruins predating the Incas, they are not as spectacular or famous. It is a true authentic Peruvian city and there is a good tourist infrastructure that has yet to become overwhelming or downright pushy as it has in Cuzco. There is an array of good restaurants, both local and those oriented for tourists looking for a change from Peruvian fare along with a scenic market where locals are in traditional dress not to make more money, but because that is what they actually wear. But it is not the charm of the city itself that draws people here, it is its close proximity to one of the most spectacular mountain ranges in the world. The Cordillera Blanca soars to over 6000 meters in jagged snow covered peaks that are surrounded by diverse tropical vegetation. Huaraz is the place to acclimatize for longer hikes into what is perhaps the most incredible of Peru’s natural wonders.
100 ASA film is perfect for the sunny skies of Huaraz and the Cordillera Blanca and invest in a circular polarizer to... more travel advice
This a Wari ruin that dates back to 1100 AD is an imitation of the temple at Chavin. It is not only interesting in... more travel advice
- See All Beware of dogs...
- See All chick chick chick
- Steer clear of political rallies...
- message in a bottle....
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Huaraz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Huaraz: The Acclimatization Project"
- "Huaraz - valley between the Andes"
- "Huaraz: Paradise in the Heart of the Andes"
- "Leaving Chimbote"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Huaraz
- Hotels in Huaraz
- Transportation in Huaraz
- Nightlife in Huaraz
- Restaurants in Huaraz
- Shopping in Huaraz
- Warnings and Dangers in Huaraz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Huaraz
- 30 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Huaraz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Huaraz
Photos in HuarazSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos