"This is what we call sharing on the Inca Trail" Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu by richiecdisc
Machu Picchu Travel Guide: 654 reviews and 1,827 photos
Mention the names “Machu Picchu” and “Inca Trail,” and it sends shivers down most travelers’ backs. And it’s for good reason. Machu Picchu is perhaps the most important archeological discovery of the past 100 years and certainly South America’s top drawing card. Shrouded in mystery as much as misty clouds, the near mythical site conjures images of the legendary Incas as they went about their extraordinary existence in the sprawling ancient city. Even with such high expectations, few visitors leave dissatisfied. And what better way to arrive than via the Inca Trail? Combining incredible mountain scenery, lush jungle-like forest and numerous picturesque ruins, the Inca Trail is justifiably the most popular backpacking trek on the continent. So, what do you get when you combine the premier hike with the number one tourist attraction in all of South America? Well, a lot of bureaucracy for one thing. Such is the popularity of the trail that it is now forbidden to tackle the hike without using a licensed guide and that translates to going on a guided trek. This actually puts even more people in the footsteps of the Incas. But even with the hassle involved in doing the hike and all the people crowding the trail, it remains a rare and special walk. Passing through a cloud forest with hummingbirds darting about, snowy peaks rising amongst the lush green hills, and well spaced Inca ruins, you would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful terrain even without a dream destination. But add to this, magical Machu Picchu as the culmination to your sweat and you can understand why you simply cannot have this place to yourself.
Zoom is good for llama pics but you will have to carry it so remember weight. Bring lots of film, it's an amazing walk... more travel advice
Though you can see these pretty much from the trail, our group did not want to visit them as we were heading towards the... more travel advice
- See All walking in the footsteps of the Incas
- backpacking is a great sport!
- See All stock up in Cusco
- See All sometimes it's better not to know
- Manco Capac Train
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Machu Picchu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Inca Trail"
- "Machu Picchu"
- "Magical Machu Picchu in Rainy Season"
- "Lost City of the Incas"
- "This is what we call sharing on the Inca Trail"
- "EL CAMINO DEL INCA - DAY 1"
- "Machu Picchu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Machu Picchu
- Hotels in Machu Picchu
- Transportation in Machu Picchu
- Nightlife in Machu Picchu
- Restaurants in Machu Picchu
- Shopping in Machu Picchu
- Warnings and Dangers in Machu Picchu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Machu Picchu
- 30 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 49 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Machu Picchu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Machu Picchu
- Commented on one of willy_wonka's Machu Picchu travel pages
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Wrote a Review lots of film about Photo Equipment / Film in Machu Picchu What to Pack
- updated a Machu Picchu Travel Page "This is what we call sharing on the Inca Trail"
- Uploaded a Photo to "baby beef hearts on a stick!"
Photos in Machu PicchuSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos