"On not taking the easy way: The Sacred Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Ollantaitambo by richiecdisc

Ollantaitambo Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 177 photos

Commonly referred to as “the Sacred Valley or El Valle Sagrado,” the geographical area comprised of the Urumbamba and Vilcanota valleys is of particular interest not only due to the high concentration of Inca ruins that are scattered throughout but also for the gentle beauty of the natural terrain. With the Inca capital of Cusco as its gateway and Machu Picchu looming at its end, the Sacred Valley is an area that must be traversed by most travelers to Peru. But with its lush vegetation, pleasant climate, and interesting villages why rush through it on a tour or worse yet, merely see it from a train en route to Machu Picchu? For the traveler with time to spare it is an area ripe for exploration and well worth the effort to visit it at a slower pace by local transportation. You will see more and more importantly get a better feel for the local way of life.

• Last visit to Ollantaitambo: Oct 2002
  • Intro Updated Feb 6, 2003

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Excellent page Richie! I have known lots of military folks over the year and say they have seen the world and I say Pfffft:)! They have not, but I think you have almost. Excellent!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2005 at 6:19 AM

Looks like another nice spot to visit from Cuzco. Great page - and brillant pictures again :-)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2005 at 7:23 PM

How evocative. One of the places I would really like to visit.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2005 at 8:46 AM

An excellent page, Richie, with your usual fantastic photos and great commentary! Peru looks very inviting to me - I would love to spend some time at these old Inca sites!!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2004 at 1:32 PM

Oh yes... Not knowing what comes next and not being afraid to find out. That's my sentiment exactly ;-) I had the most wonderful time in Pisac! Quite an amazing hike ;-)

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2003 at 1:04 PM

Darn you smug short people, keeweechic! I still have a crease in my haid from my trip to Peru in '81. Just wait till next time you need something from the top shelf and can't find me or B1Bob around! LOL, cat

• Antji's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 6:03 AM

great landscape there & love your pics!must be a great trip!greetings from dresden!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2003 at 9:11 PM

Wonderful to be accepted by locals and see the place as a local - the best experience. My height is fine at the ruins:-)

• demonia's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2003 at 9:51 AM

Great as usual! :)

• chancay's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2003 at 6:07 AM

Great page, as usual!! I knew I missed some places, but didn´t know that it´s so beautiful overthere. OUTSTANDING WORK!!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Ollantaitambo

Have you been to Ollantaitambo?