"A Bug in Baños" Top 5 Page for this destination Baños by richiecdisc
Baños Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 864 photos
Baños suffers from a bit of an identity crisis. On one hand it is everything that tourists both foreign and nationals alike imagine Ecuador to be. Lush green mountains, abundant flowing waterfalls, and volcanic activity right at your door. Detractors will point out a lack of Andean culture and a Disney-like atmosphere pervading. What Baños is however is a gateway town between the Amazon basin and the Andean plateau. It’s no wonder it doesn’t quite fit within any one particular region’s conception. It’s not tropical but it is incredibly green. It lacks the harsh Andean climate but enjoys cool evenings afforded by its mountainous location. It can’t help being at a nearly ideal elevation. It doesn’t pretend to be a center of culture and though there are some fine examples of architecture within the small city limits, its calling card sights are those of its setting. In Baños, it’s nature that rules. But perhaps the best evaluation of the town comes from those that flock there and that number is considerable. Ask an Ecuadorian what he thinks of Baños and invariably you’ll be answered with a smile. They all love the place. Baños is also that rare destination that can satisfy foreigners as well as its nationals. They may have come to Ecuador to see the Galapagos Island and Cotopaxi but you’ll be hard pressed to find one that didn’t enjoy their time in Baños as much as anything on their visit. Sure, Baños is a tourist town but its one that knows how to satisfy its loyal following and who can fault a town for so effortlessly doing that? Sometimes it’s best not to ask why. Just enjoy, everyone else seems to.
When at Pailón del Diablo, we stopped for a drink at this cool little cafe with fabulous views of the area. It was quite... more travel advice
The Town Hall Clock Tower is another interesting building in Baños and good for orientation since it is right on the... more travel advice
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Baños Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Baños de Agua Santa"
- "Avenida de las Cascadas, and Baños"
- "A Bug in Baños"
- "Baños - A relaxing adventure"
- "Banos: Ecuador's Adventure Capital"
- "Banos adventures"
- "Waterfalls Everywhere"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baños
- Hotels in Baños
- Transportation in Baños
- Nightlife in Baños
- Restaurants in Baños
- Shopping in Baños
- Warnings and Dangers in Baños
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baños
- 18 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Baños?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baños
Photos in BañosSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos