"Latacunga: You Can Taste the Authenticity" Top 5 Page for this destination Latacunga by richiecdisc

Latacunga Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 152 photos

On first glance, Latacunga is a mere transport hub in the Andean plateau of Ecuador south of Quito. Its close proximity to the lumbering volcano Cotopaxi ensures a steady flow of transients. Most visitors to Ecuador that are using ground transportation will have to pass through it at some point and many never see anything aside from the bus terminal. For those that get stuck there it can be a pleasant surprise. Not because it is a beautiful city per se but because it is an authentic one. That it is one with noisy western leanings might disturb some but its mix with old Andean culture is an exciting jumble. No, Latacunga will not charm you perhaps but for those who investigate a reward of experiencing the real Ecuador awaits. Oh, and don’t forget to try the chugchucaras !

• Last visit to Latacunga: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 17, 2009

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Destroyed four times by Cotopaxi in a century sounds hard! The La Mama Negra sounds to be a lovely place and the Chugchucaras great to try!

• Mar 20, 2009 at 2:34 PM

terrific, Im from latacunga, i love that, if u want I could send you photos of quilotoa lake

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2008 at 6:36 AM

Interesting page and luckily this time I was checking your pages after lunch ;-)

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2008 at 2:58 PM

blue skies, cheap tasty food and beer what more could anyone want ;-)

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2008 at 6:10 PM

La Mama Negra looks like a museum!

• Antji's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2008 at 6:08 AM

Your stories were very interesting like always - I had the feeling I traveled with you & D. ;o . I like the colonial style of architecture there! Hugs to D. & you!!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Great page, capturing for us a sense of the "real" Ecuador. I love the colonial architecture and the whole story of your chuchachuras experience

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 9:53 PM

What a beautiful town, I love these light blue frames of the white buildings. And your story with the young kid and his restaurant sounds so cute. Ah, now that you mention ceviche.... I get hungry :-))))

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Great, now I am hungry and want to go to that chicken place again...

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 7:00 AM

Not only lime, but I like to put in plantain chips in my cebiche for a textural contrast. Nice food tips. It closely tracks what I had down yonder.

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Latacunga

Have you been to Latacunga?