"Keep me in the Quilotoa Loop" Top 5 Page for this destination Laguna Quilotoa by richiecdisc
Laguna Quilotoa Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 415 photos
The difference between off the beaten path and those more traveled on is only a matter of well…being traveled on. We’ve all seen it before when one of our little secrets becomes run of the mill on the travel wire. Now, these distinctions are of course subjective and one person’s idea of adventure is another’s common fodder. A case in point is Ecuador’s increasingly popular Quilotoa Loop. The massive crater lake Quilotoa has been a place of gathering amongst the indigenous population for generations and one look at the awe striking caldera explains why.
It has likewise been popular with the general population of Ecuadorians as a tourist destination though for admittedly shorter duration. But it has only been since the early 90s that it has become a target for gringos seeking adventure en route to the stunning lake created from a volcanic eruption some 800 years ago. Undoubtedly, what these early daring travelers found was that while the lake itself was indeed incredible it was the journey there that was the true find. Passing through relatively unchanged villages on foot, horseback, or via the local bus was not only a life enhancing experience, it was fun. One noteworthy trekking guidebook was published and its info later syndicated by the Lonely Planet and a “new” path was created for the intrepid traveler.
A few years later and it’s one of the ‘in” places to travel in Ecuador. Has all this notoriety ruined this rural paradise? So far the answer is no. Will a steady if slow trickle of gringos be its downfall? Not if those passing through remember to respect local customs and the local people, to leave as little of their trace as possible and hence keep off the beaten path just that.
A lot of travelers get romantic notions about what should remain the same in cultures not their own. I am certainly... more travel advice
The Quilotoa Loop does not lend itself to a roll away suitcase. Local buses can be crammed and your bag is likely to be... more travel advice
- getting around is part of the fun
- not for the faint hearted
- try the local produce and baked goods
- carry a stick
- See All Saquisilí Animal Market
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Laguna Quilotoa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keep me in the Quilotoa Loop"
- "Quilotoa and Laguna Quilotoa"
- "The emerald mirror"
- "Beautiful, but cold"
- "Laguna Quilotoa"
- "Laguna Quilotoa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laguna Quilotoa
- Hotels in Laguna Quilotoa
- Transportation in Laguna Quilotoa
- Nightlife in Laguna Quilotoa
- Restaurants in Laguna Quilotoa
- Shopping in Laguna Quilotoa
- Warnings and Dangers in Laguna Quilotoa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Laguna Quilotoa
- 24 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Laguna Quilotoa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laguna Quilotoa
Photos in Laguna QuilotoaSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos