"Thinking of South American Cities? Think Quito" Top 5 Page for this destination Quito by richiecdisc
Quito Travel Guide: 1,075 reviews and 2,921 photos
Ask the average person what city comes to mind when they think of South America and most will reply Buenos Aires or Rio de Janeiro. Some with a bit more savvy may venture forth with the continent’s culinary capital of Lima. Those with a view on world politics might even mention Bogota or Caracas. But few will come up with Quito. It’s not like the city just sprung up from nowhere having been a key stop on the extensive Inca roadway. No, not the Inca trail but the more far-reaching network that ran from southern Colombia down into northern Chile. While Ecuador makes inroads into the tourist scene due primarily to the Galapagos Islands and to a lesser degree an array of stunning volcanoes, its equally impressive capital is viewed by many as a mere gateway city that must be flown into. Of course, these are the same people that spend a few nights partying in the city’s less splendid if more intoxicating New Town rather than experience some true local flavor in the exquisite Old Town. It’s a shame because with even a cursory exploration one will be rewarded with a charming collection of colonial buildings, some pretty parks, an authentic market place, a fantastic assortment of culinary delights, and friendly locals all too willing to help not only you but to shed the city’s dangerous reputation. With a bit more investigation one will be pleased to find one of South America’s most enthralling cities, full of astonishing sights situated in one of its most spectacular settings.
The Museo de la Ciudad is certainly worth a visit though it’s not nearly as interesting as the Casa Maria Augusta... more travel advice
The Museo del Banco Central is Ecuador’s premier museum and its extensive collection of Ecuadorian art from pre-Hispanic... more travel advice
- watch where you go but go
- walk but you don't have to
- the plaza with no people
- See All morocho, morocho, morocho
- See All forerunner to the mall?
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Quito Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quito - Capital of Ecuador"
- "b1bob does Quito big time"
- "A city among volcanoes"
- "Thinking of South American Cities? Think Quito"
- "¡Bienvenidos a Quito!"
- "Connected with nature at the middle of the earth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quito
- Hotels in Quito
- Transportation in Quito
- Nightlife in Quito
- Restaurants in Quito
- Shopping in Quito
- Warnings and Dangers in Quito
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quito
- 37 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Quito?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quito
Photos in QuitoSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos