"The Color of Barichara" Barichara by richiecdisc

Barichara Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 138 photos

Colombia is blessed with a plethora of atmospheric colonial towns but none more stunningly gorgeous than quiet little Barichara. It has the same white-washed simple buildings with requisite wooden balconies and its share of beautiful old churches as you might find elsewhere but what sets it apart is its hilly topography.

The vantage points gained by climbing a few hills make for great photographic opportunities. Add to that one of the most pleasant main squares found anywhere in South America and a few choice eateries and you have a recipe for a very satisfying step into the past. Those steps are not so hard of the feet either. Unlike colonial rival Villa de Leyva whose streets are made of large cobblestone, Barichara's empty streets are made of larger flat rocks that looks nearly as scenic but surely make strolling around the town that much more a joy.

Easily reached as a day trip from San Gil, I must say if I were to go back again I would spend a few days here. Not that there is much more to see in town but it's just such a nice place to “waste” a few days and the surrounding areas sound well worth exploring and not so easily done if there for the limited time we had.

• Last visit to Barichara: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Oct 16, 2010

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Beautiful little town, beautiful photos :-) I love the rich terracotta colours of the churches, and the motmot is gorgeous! And I'd be very curious to try those ants ;-)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2010 at 7:41 PM

The tile work is gorgeous. The colors and such lovely clarity in your photography is wonderful. Excellent page!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2010 at 6:05 AM

Another fine page, Richie! Great that you had a good look at this well-preserved colonial town and even got lots of good Motmot photos.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2010 at 2:40 AM

Barrichara is wonderful! If I ever go back I would also like to stay longer, and I would then do the Camino Real to Guane. Great photos of the Motmot!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2010 at 2:03 AM

What a fantastic cozy place. Great birds catching, I'm curious to know what was that Red Headed Black bird, I will search for it later :)

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Stunning photo's , you were indeed extremely lucky to have spotted the Motmot and that it stayed there for you to take the wonderful photo ;-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Richie, your beautiful photos and great descriptions of Barichara really do make it sound like a paradise spot to visit! I loved your many bird sightings, esp. the Motmot! I think the view of D looking out over the city wins top prize though!

• Oct 18, 2010 at 8:14 PM

what a fascinating place! a real gem i think! i enjoyed your photos, beautiful in the natural light. those ants... erm... pass. i'll stick to mcD's ;-P

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2010 at 7:44 AM

the color of ants vs.the colors of birds....Motmot, Motmot

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Oh my god, you find the real gems, places even my colleagues might never heard of! This one sounds and looks charming!! Haha, but no ants for me please, Jutta (Germán's wife) always brought roasted ants as gift, lol :-)

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Barichara

Have you been to Barichara?

Latest Activity in Barichara