"The Color of Barichara" Barichara by richiecdisc
Barichara Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 138 photos
Colombia is blessed with a plethora of atmospheric colonial towns but none more stunningly gorgeous than quiet little Barichara. It has the same white-washed simple buildings with requisite wooden balconies and its share of beautiful old churches as you might find elsewhere but what sets it apart is its hilly topography.
The vantage points gained by climbing a few hills make for great photographic opportunities. Add to that one of the most pleasant main squares found anywhere in South America and a few choice eateries and you have a recipe for a very satisfying step into the past. Those steps are not so hard of the feet either. Unlike colonial rival Villa de Leyva whose streets are made of large cobblestone, Barichara's empty streets are made of larger flat rocks that looks nearly as scenic but surely make strolling around the town that much more a joy.
Easily reached as a day trip from San Gil, I must say if I were to go back again I would spend a few days here. Not that there is much more to see in town but it's just such a nice place to “waste” a few days and the surrounding areas sound well worth exploring and not so easily done if there for the limited time we had.
One thing you notice right away are the many gorgeous doors of Barichara. While it may lack in the balcony department... more travel advice
Barichara is easily reached from nearby San Gil which is right on the main road from Bogota to points north. Go to the... more travel advice
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Barichara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Color of Barichara"
- "Lovely Barichara"
- "Barichara, a colonial jewel"
- "UN OASIS LLAMADO BARICHARA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barichara
- Hotels in Barichara
- Transportation in Barichara
- Restaurants in Barichara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barichara
- 16 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Barichara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barichara
Photos in BaricharaSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos