"Love in the time of Cartagena" Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena by richiecdisc
Cartagena Travel Guide: 565 reviews and 1,586 photos
Immortalized though admittedly not referred to directly by Gabriel Garcia Marquez in “Love in the time of Cholera,” Cartagena de Indias may not be immediately recognized by those who come expecting the dilapidated colonial architecture, colorful slave quarters, and rat-infested sewers of the author's time. But make no mistake, despite a restoration that would make the destroyed WWII countries of Europe proud, it manages to ooze at least some of the sensuality and still much of the vitality of Marquez's novel. As romantic as a less pristine vision of Cartagena may be, there is little denying just how gorgeous a city it has grown to be. It is heralded as the most beautiful in all of South America and it is easy to see why, with fairy tale balconied colonial gems strewn with bougainvilleas at every turn. It's no wonder it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
This is however no Disney recreation of another era but a real thriving South American metropolis with all the grime and crime associated with such things. The bus ride from wherever you came from will give you a glimpse of life outside the walled oasis that tourists will likely confine themselves to and even this small area will easily fill quite a few days of leisurely sightseeing. Languid might be a better word in this sometimes stifling heat. An afternoon siesta is a delightful local ritual best observed as well by those who come to pay homage to a city made famous by a novel with love in the title.
As with all restored places that beg to cater to the well-to-do, Cartagena has its share of upscale eateries, bars, and boutique hotels. Thankfully, it remains a true city with many options. There are budget places to stay in parts of town less perfect but possibly more in tune with the steamy side of a romance novel. Many local delicacies are available in small economical neighborhood restaurants and by colorful street vendors that will bring you back to another time, a time perhaps that you came to see in the first place. A time not of cholera, but still of love in a place built for and of romance.
This is hardly off the beaten but not exactly a must see anymore either though surely it its day it was! The old port of... more travel advice
Saying we're not night owls is a real understatement. Well, when you wake up at dawn, being one would not be the best of... more travel advice
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Cartagena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Love in the time of Cartagena"
- "Cartagena de Indias"
- "Cartagenita linda"
- "Cartagena de las Indias"
- "CARTAGENA DE INDIAS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cartagena
- Hotels in Cartagena
- Transportation in Cartagena
- Nightlife in Cartagena
- Restaurants in Cartagena
- Shopping in Cartagena
- Warnings and Dangers in Cartagena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cartagena
- 50 Reviews
- 143 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Cartagena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cartagena
Photos in CartagenaSee All Photos (143)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos