"Tumble in the Jungle: La Ciudad Perdida" Ciudad Perdida by richiecdisc
Ciudad Perdida Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 203 photos
La Ciudad Perdida has not only a rich and lengthy history but a storied recent past as well. Though settlement in the vicinity dates back perhaps a far as the 7th century and the actual structures' construction to between the 11th and 14th, the ?Lost City? was just that until the early 1970s when local grave-robbers happened upon the jungle-strewn ruins of the indigenous Tayrona people. The terraced structures that remain incredibly well-preserved even today were mere platforms on which the wooden thatched homes of the Tayrona were built.
Even after its ?discovery,? the area was far from settled and remained in a state of turmoil first with grave-robber gangs fighting over the spoils and then with cocaine cartels using the perfect growing conditions and inaccessibility to their best advantage. This was in great conflict with its tourist development and in the early years of this, a few intrepid travelers were taken hostage, thus propelling La Ciudad Perdida to backpacker mythic proportions. In a world where Machu Picchu was now all too easy to visit, this was a more esoteric jewel in the crown for those drawn to tramping on less trodden if dangerous grounds. As with all things to do with Colombia, information about such danger lagged far behind the steady progress away from it. La Ciudad has been host to many organized trekking groups since the millennium and now appears to be as safe a trek as any in South America. Of course, such organization takes from its illusive allure but it still has a few years before it is overrun like similar treks in Peru so enjoy it while it lasts.
You must do the tour with a group and thankfully there is now some competition amongst the ranks after many years of it being monopolized by Colombia's national tourist company, TURCOL. It can be done in as little as five days but the more typical trek is six days and five nights. This can be arranged in Santa Marta or Taganga and definitely cheaper than doing it in Bogota.
Camping gear is provided at each camp and set up for you but you need a day pack to carry your clothes and basic gear... more travel advice
So, we set out dressed in the same ?desert whites? we had done El Cocuy in. On that trek, we wore long sleeved shirts... more travel advice
- backpacker & beers
- four-wheel drive & good driver needed
- See All park fees "included"
- fording the Rio Buritaca 9 times on day...
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Ciudad Perdida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tumble in the Jungle: La Ciudad Perdida"
- "The Lost City in the Jungle"
- "Ciudad Perdida"
- "The Lost City"
- "La Ciudad Perdida: a jammed-packed adventure Trek!"
- "Ciudad Perdida"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ciudad Perdida
- Hotels in Ciudad Perdida
- Transportation in Ciudad Perdida
- Nightlife in Ciudad Perdida
- Restaurants in Ciudad Perdida
- Warnings and Dangers in Ciudad Perdida
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ciudad Perdida
- 25 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Ciudad Perdida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ciudad Perdida
- updated a Ciudad Perdida Travel Page "Tumble in the Jungle: La Ciudad Perdida"
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Ciudad Perdida tips
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tumble in the Jungle: La Ciudad Perdida"
- Wrote a Review Two great treks down, one great wife in Ciudad Perdida What to Pack
Photos in Ciudad PerdidaSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos