"On Finding the Pipián in Popayán" Top 5 Page for this destination Popayán by richiecdisc

Popayán Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 381 photos

In a country filled with colonial gems, Popayán stands out even in Colombia. While it may lack the cobblestone streets of Villa de Leyva, hilly perspective of Barichara, and mixed tropical flair of Cartagena, it has an amazingly large assemblage of perfectly preserved chalk-white colonial buildings interspersed with a fine collection of churches. That it became the most important stop on the trading route between Cartagena and Quito is only more impressive in light of a storied history ravaged only too often by earthquakes. But La Ciudad Blanca or White City is more than its history. It is a thriving and authentic city that takes great pride in its past but embraces the future without losing sight of its present day stature as an up and coming tourist center for the southwest of Colombia. As the country rightfully grows into one of the continents most popular destinations, Popayán will likely join the ranks of its more famous colonial cousins. But for now, it remains marvelously unspoiled. So, enjoy this marvel before you have to fight over its wonders.

a place to linger

Popayán is in itself an impressive city that keep you busy for quite a few days but it is the surrounding area that will make it an important transit hub for more extensive exploration. It has a good infrastructure in place already with a convenient bus terminal and great and varied accommodation and eating options. Add to this mix some local dishes and you have a recipe for a place to linger in so by all means do.

• Last visit to Popayán: Feb 2010
  • Intro Updated Jan 4, 2011

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Great shots of some impressive churches - love it! Now I just have to get myself to Columbia - especially with such tempting food on offer & a Caucano or 2 to help me digest it. BTW we had pepian sauce in Panjachel which must be related to your empanada!

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2011 at 2:46 AM

I am so hungry now! Wish we could snack around now! That schnitzel really is as big as I remembered lol

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Fantastic photos, Richie, each taken at a different time of day to catch the perfect light!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Yes, give me some empanadas de pipián right now :-)) I love your sepia shots in between, very atmospheric. And feel for you that you are now away from lulo land :) Haha, that Schnitzel is indeed huge, reminds me of my students' days :-)

• Jan 4, 2011 at 8:43 PM

all these awesome dishes make me hungry, time to heat up leftovers from last night's dinner for lunch! haha. stunning photography here richie. but the food... dang! looks impressive!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Wow, this place is worth a visit just for the food :) I'm glad I checked this page after dinner, otherwise I would have made myself Bandeja Paísa right now :)

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Popayán

Have you been to Popayán?

Latest Activity in Popayán