Salento Local Custom Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination

Salento Local Customs: 7 reviews and 27 photos

the red ones are ready - Salento

the red ones are ready

a bean by other name would be just a bean

We learned quite a bit about coffee while in Salento. We had been relatively disappointed with the coffee scene in Colombia before coming here. Even though we managed to find some decent java prior, it always took a lot of effort and it was only at more upscale places that we were satisfied. One thing we learned was the difference between Arabica and Robusta coffee beans. Colombian and places like Salento in particular is the perfect place for growing Arabica varieties. These are the connoisseurs preferred beans and are considered the smoothest tasting. They are also more prone to disease and hence more expensive to grow. Robusta beans have a much higher concentration of caffeine and are thus more resistant to pests and disease. Of course, growers in Salento will tell you Arabica is the only bean worth brewing but I kind of missed the buzz of Robusta. I find myself drawn now to a mix of the two and many say it's the best of both worlds that makes for the best java. All I can say is, try a variety of coffees and pick the one you like best, and of course can afford!

• Written Dec 12, 2010

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Salento

Have you been to Salento?

Latest Activity in Salento