"Bean meaning to go, Salento" Top 5 Page for this destination Salento by richiecdisc

Salento Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 391 photos

The Zona Cafetera is the place most travelers to Colombia envision when they think of the country whether the know it or not just as Juan Valdez is the mustachioed image of its inhabitants. Cocaine may have grabbed all the headlines but coffee is a buzz that's not only legal but malleable. While it's the everyday drink of the common man it doubles easily as the posh beverage of the elite who can afford it. But those verdant green hills encircling you are not just good for growing beans, there are trails to be trekked and villages to be explored. One such town is wonderful Salento. Full of colorful paisa architecture, it is pleasant in its own right but serves well also as the jumping off point to nearby nature reserves, coffee plantations, and towering palms. Though still primarily the domain of Colombian tourists, backpackers are a steady part of the mix that will likely grow considerably in the near future.

a door we're glad we opened

This area was not a high priority for me in planning our trip to Colombia but am very glad we did not pass it by. Despite coming on the heals of an amazing trip to the country's incredible coast which could have left it looking limp in comparison, it held its own and our attention well. It's easy to see why many wind up staying longer than originally planned.

• Last visit to Salento: Feb 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 12, 2010

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I love that colourful architecture - so photogenic! The coffee tour sounds just my cup of tea (sorry, couldn't resist!) and the Plantation House a great place to stay. Pretty cat too, strong coffee and very appetising meals. My kind of town, for sure :-)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2010 at 4:03 AM

gee the eating is cheap in this town

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM

cats and motmots and hummingbirds, oh my ;)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2010 at 3:09 PM

A great new page on this attractive coffee-growing town! Good that you had a coffee plantation tour, and it was nice of that Motmot to keep coming back to look at you.

• Dec 13, 2010 at 4:33 PM

oh my looks like a magical place to explore. those coffee plantation hills look awesome. i love that blue tail on the bird as well, such color! time for a coffee now i think, im craving!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2010 at 7:40 AM

What a beautiful place, heaven for birding. I’m almost tempted to book this offer ;-) lufthansa.com/online/portal/...

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Oh - an ode to our thick brown liquid :-)) Now I know why you know so much about the different sorts :-) That sour lemonade at the coffee tour sounds delicious as does your hostel and the cute bird! Oh my.... coffee.....

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Salento

Have you been to Salento?

Latest Activity in Salento