"As Santa Marta Grows into its own Shoes" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Marta by richiecdisc
Santa Marta Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 381 photos
Santa Marta is a study in contrast. On one hand, it is very much a major tourist destination and even that is two-pronged. It is one of the most popular beach resorts for Colombians who flock to enjoy its easy access sand and surf, waterfront restaurants, and affordable accommodation. It is also a hub for international backpackers intent on enjoying some of Colombia's most desirable sights like Tayrona National Park and the trek to La Ciudad Perdida. But it is also America's oldest city though in its current state of disrepair one could be forgiven for retaining such romantic notions for its nearby rival Cartagena, which has been much better preserved. All that seems to be changing with renovation of any remaining colonial architecture under way but you can't fix what has been torn down so you cannot expect Santa Marta to regain its glorious past intact. No, it will always be a bit of a mishmash town but that is part of its charm and with so many amazing sights at its doorstep it can afford to be less than perfect. As a friendly gateway town somewhat unattached to its history and lineage it stands quite well on its own two, three or even four feet.
Santa Marta might not be noted as having great beaches but certainly, it has a serviceable and very convenient one... more travel advice
The Museo de Oro or Gold Museum is located just off the Plaza de Bolivar in a nicely renovated hacienda-type colonial... more travel advice
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Santa Marta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "As Santa Marta Grows into its own Shoes"
- "Santa Marta"
- "Simon Bolivar's First Grave"
- "SANTA MARTA - LAST REPOSE FOR LATIN AMERICAN GIANT"
- "Santa Marta - lo tiene todo!"
- "Santa Marta"
- "SANTA MARTA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Marta
- Hotels in Santa Marta
- Transportation in Santa Marta
- Nightlife in Santa Marta
- Restaurants in Santa Marta
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Marta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Marta
- 21 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Santa Marta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Marta
Photos in Santa MartaSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos