"As Santa Marta Grows into its own Shoes" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Marta by richiecdisc

Santa Marta Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 370 photos

Santa Marta is a study in contrast. On one hand, it is very much a major tourist destination and even that is two-pronged. It is one of the most popular beach resorts for Colombians who flock to enjoy its easy access sand and surf, waterfront restaurants, and affordable accommodation. It is also a hub for international backpackers intent on enjoying some of Colombia's most desirable sights like Tayrona National Park and the trek to La Ciudad Perdida. But it is also America's oldest city though in its current state of disrepair one could be forgiven for retaining such romantic notions for its nearby rival Cartagena, which has been much better preserved. All that seems to be changing with renovation of any remaining colonial architecture under way but you can't fix what has been torn down so you cannot expect Santa Marta to regain its glorious past intact. No, it will always be a bit of a mishmash town but that is part of its charm and with so many amazing sights at its doorstep it can afford to be less than perfect. As a friendly gateway town somewhat unattached to its history and lineage it stands quite well on its own two, three or even four feet.

• Last visit to Santa Marta: Feb 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 14, 2010

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2011 at 12:10 PM

As with sunsets, I'm a bit of a sucker for more delapidated old buildings rather than over-restored ones, so this could be my kind of town - especially with great ceviche thrown in! But what a shame that D was too ill to enjoy it with you :-(

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Santa Marta looks nice and quite affordable. The cerviche at Cocteleria Juancho certainly looks intriguing. Cheers, Bill

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I'm going to Santa Marta (and the Santa Marta Mountains and Tayrona NP) in March on a birdwatching trip, so I enjoyed reading about your experiences there.

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Glad I got better to have the cerviche but I missed out on a lot of juice time!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2010 at 5:53 AM

I'm not surprised this is a popular tourist place, its looks beautiful already and with your photos & tips its look even one step better :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Ohh sweet memories :-) I almost bought a house here (to start hostel). Have you also been in Taganga Beach (trek only)? I loved their fish!! Oh my, why didn't I knew about Cocteleria Juancho back then, I would also have been a very regular customer :-)

• Nov 15, 2010 at 9:39 PM

another impressive page from a country fast becoming 'up there' on my list of places to visit. is tayrona a page you will make?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Another impressive new page about your travels in Colombia! I'm looking forward to your upcoming detailed page on Tayrona National Park.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Beautiful shots and very good write-up! I felt as if I was there. Really would like to go deep into Tayrona Natl Park. You found a real gem!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Santa Marta

Have you been to Santa Marta?

Latest Activity in Santa Marta