"A Tale of Two Toucans in Tayrona" Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Tayrona by richiecdisc
Parque Tayrona Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 343 photos
Rightfully one of Colombia's most popular destinations, Tayrona National Park is most closely associated with breathtaking coastal scenery but the park encompasses 12 hectares of land with some of it rainforest close to 1000 meters and lowlands of brown desert-like hills. Most who visit only see the park's hallmark beaches shaded by towering coconut palms and perhaps a brief climb to indigenous Tayrona ruins in the most accessible highlands so the misconception of the park is easy to understand. To be fair, these areas are more than enough to warrant a visit to this stunning piece of paradise and it is easy enough to get lost doing just that for a number of days.
The park is a bit of a mishmash of developmental styles. While it is perhaps less than pristine when it comes to the properties built to cater to tourist needs and the preponderance of horse manure on the trails, it is happily vehicle-free. This makes it perfect for hikers and even more so backpackers who truly can take advantage of the park's incredible beauty at more affordable prices than those at the mercy of the less than stellar accommodation choices.
It is easily reached from nearby Santa Marta. While you can certainly do the park as a long day trip and see a fair amount, with a 34000 COP ($17) entrance fee why not stay a few days and enjoy the amazing scenery a bit longer.
Coming from the United States, I have a very high standard when it comes to National Parks. The US might get a lot of... more travel advice
The next day we hiked up the coast and had a wonderful day swimming at the various beaches we passed along the way.... more travel advice
- a varied places needs varied equipment
- See All toucans
- getting there was easy
- hiking in Tayrona
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Parque Tayrona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Tale of Two Toucans in Tayrona"
- "Parque Nacional Tayrona"
- "Tayrona National Park, Colombia's Caribbean Coast"
- "...HEAVEN FOUND..."
- "A tropical paradise"
- "Parque Tayrona"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parque Tayrona
- Hotels in Parque Tayrona
- Transportation in Parque Tayrona
- Nightlife in Parque Tayrona
- Restaurants in Parque Tayrona
- Shopping in Parque Tayrona
- Warnings and Dangers in Parque Tayrona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parque Tayrona
- 30 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Parque Tayrona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parque Tayrona
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "that content again"
- Commented on one of Kindra's Parque Tayrona travel pages
- Wrote a Review parks fees are high in Parque Tayrona Local Customs
- updated a Parque Tayrona Travel Page "A Tale of Two Toucans in Tayrona"
Photos in Parque TayronaSee All Photos (78)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos