"Turning on the Star Power of Tunja" Tunja by richiecdisc

Tunja Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 56 photos

Seen largely as a transit hub, many travelers bypass Tunja despite it being one of Colombia's more intriguing cities. Blessed with a plethora of fine colonial architecture, a few interesting museums and more than its fair share of authentic eating opportunities, it is more than a city to be reckoned with. Overshadowed by nearby Villa de Leyva, most merely change buses for an admittedly beautiful if somewhat artificial Colombian attraction. What they are missing is a vibrant real Colombian town full of the life its competitor somehow lacks. But that's your advantage, you will have Tunja to yourself. Well, you'll have to share it with Colombians but isn't that what you came to Colombia for in the first place for?

• Last visit to Tunja: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 30, 2010

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2010 at 4:31 AM

Wow, I love the Iglesia de Santo Domingo - what rich colours! A shame some others were closed, but the colonial houses sounds great & the food even better. I enjoyed hearing about Daniel too - sometimes we have to drop our traveller's cynicism, don't we?

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Very nice & relax place, if I will ever visit this country, I guess I would stop here on my way to my place... San Gil ;-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Thanks for your story! ><><><

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Wow, Richie, I can see why you stayed to sample the vast variety of interesting food dishes in Tunja! I'm glad I aready had breakfast before reading those tips! It must have been a great trip with just the two of you wandering around in Columbia.

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Tunja was so much fun (at least once I was able to eat again)

• Oct 4, 2010 at 8:57 PM

sounds like a pleasant enough town to stop in and spend a few days. the ceilings in the churches are amazing, reminded me of the one in chinchero, peru.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Another fine new page from your trip through Colombia! This sounds like a great town to visit, not only for the food but also for places like the Casa Del Fundador Suarez Rendon and the Casa de Don Juan de Vargas.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Wow, yes, what a town!!! You are right in promoting it, for me it was always the hub to VdL.... How silly was I! I love these colonial houses and the ceiling and this church with so much colourful decoration inside. Oh my... I miss Colombia

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Tunja