Villa de Leiva Nightlife Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination
Villa de Leiva Nightlife: 3 reviews and 11 photos
The Plaza's fountain takes on a new light
While Plaza Mayor may seem a bit too unprotected during the midday sun, it comes to life in the evenings when locals congregate around the immense square to have a coffee or beer and share in animated conversations about their days. In this respect, it is not spoiled in the least and though we are not night owls, we enjoyed strolling the square and enjoying the cool air and lively atmosphere. The tasteful lighting of the Plaza's buildings and church make for good night photos so bring your tripod.
Dress Code: Evenings can get chilly in Villa de Leyva so bring something warm to stroll around in.
Theme: People Watching
looks can be deceiving
While taking some photos of the main square while the sun went down on our first evening in town, we noticed Mr. Coqui's Beer Factory. Figuring it was just a pub, I popped my head in and noticed they did in fact have beers of their own, or at least not the regular mass-produced Colombian beers I'd so far encountered outside the very good Bogota Beer Company. It was already kind of late and we were pretty stuffed from our big Italian meal earlier in the evening so made a mental note to stop back. It was unfortunately never open again, or at least so I thought. It was just this front entrance that opened into the square that was closed. When walking around the corner one night we saw that the main entrance was on that side so decided to give it a try. It was obviously an upscale place and there was a cool little courtyard to sit in so did just that and ordered one of each of their beers since there were only two to choose from. Out they came, unfiltered with nice rocky heads. They sure looked promising but both had very odd tastes which made them hard to even finish. When asked how we liked them we politely shook our heads in approval but obviously did not order anymore. It was 7000 COP (about $3.50) for the two pints of the odd tasting brews. I'm all for supporting anyone that makes an effort to bring new beers into virgin territory but these entrepreneurs need to hire real brewers to make the beer.
Dress Code: Colombians will be dressed well in upscale places like this but backpackers can wear pretty much what they like. That said, it's best to wear the best you have with you to try and fit in a little. If you are going to sit in the courtyard at night, bring a jacket as it is quite cool.
Directions: On the main square, next to the cathedral.
Theme: Eating and Drinking
More Reviews (19)
- not quite a hub
- a lamb in the lush
- packing my wife was the best move I ever...
- See All a proven contender in more civilized...
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Villa de Leiva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A gem not hidden: Villa de Leyva"
- "Charming Villa de Leyva"
- "Villa de Leyva"
- "Villa de Leiva"
- "Villa de Leyva - the most charming colonial town"
- "Colonial Perfection"
- "Enjoying the past"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villa de Leiva
- Hotels in Villa de Leiva
- Transportation in Villa de Leiva
- Nightlife in Villa de Leiva
- Restaurants in Villa de Leiva
- Shopping in Villa de Leiva
- See All...
Explore the World
- Draguignan Hotels
- Spring Hotels
- Nambucca Heads Hotels
- Falelatai Hotels
- Todos Santos
Badges & Stats in Villa de Leiva
- 21 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Villa de Leiva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villa de Leiva
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos