Zipaquirá Transportation Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination
Zipaquirá Transportation: 7 reviews and 4 photos
one of the salt carvings in the cathedral
Getting to Zipaquira is easy enough but time consuming. Buses depart from the Portal del North TransMilenio station up to four times an hour. It will take you about forty-five minutes just to get there but it will only set you back about 75 cents. A cab probably wouldn't be much faster and would cost certainly considerably more money. It also gives you a chance to check out Bogota's famed BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) system which features over 1000 buses with their own lanes and self-contained bus stations!
The bus to Zipaquira itself is less than $2 but takes about 90 minutes or more depending on the traffic so you are looking at 2.5 hours in each direction. For this reason, one should consider doing this as a stopover en route to Villa de Leyva if going there anyway. The drawback is bringing your luggage with you but if you overnight in Zipaquira that would not be a major problem aside from lugging it on the TransMilenio, especially at rush hour!
A taxi to the mine was pricey at $2.50 for a very short if all uphill ride but the route there is not signed very well so unless you know where you are going it is quicker. Add to that how hot can be midday and it's not a bad idea. We walked back down as from up high, it's more obvious where to go and it's a lot less taxing in the heat too.
We did it as a day trip and it's ample time though 5 hours in transit is a bit much for the salt cathedral in itself. Seeing Colombians as tourist was what made it worth the trip for us.
More Reviews (7)
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Zipaquirá Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Decided Colombian Experience: Zipaquira"
- "Zipaquira - The Salt Cathedral"
- "Zipaquirá - home of the gorgeous Salt Cathedral"
- "Beautiful Colonial Town With the Salt Cathedral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zipaquirá
- Hotels in Zipaquirá
- Transportation in Zipaquirá
- Restaurants in Zipaquirá
- See All...
Explore the World
- Þingvellir Hotels
- Giens Hotels
- Fort Travis Hotels
- Gilmanton Ironworks Hotels
- Judetul Suceava
- Hepburn Springs
- Ely Transportation
- Azerbaijan Transportation
- Chicago Transportation
- Middelburg Transportation
- Virginia City Transportation
- Ennis Transportation
- Hudiksvall Transportation
- Naha Transportation
- Cape Town Transportation
- Aguas Calientes - Machupicchu Transportation
- Banff National Park Transportation
- Idaho Transportation
Badges & Stats in Zipaquirá
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Zipaquirá?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zipaquirá
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Wrote a Review even a day trip needs some packing in Zipaquirá What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "even a day trip needs some packing"
- created a Zipaquirá Travel Page "A Decided Colombian Experience: Zipaquira"
- Commented on one of mircaskirca's Zipaquirá travel pages
Photos in ZipaquiráSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos