"2004: A Bavarian Beer Odyssey" Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria by richiecdisc
Bavaria Travel Guide: 12,394 reviews and 36,803 photos
When most people think of Germany, the images that come to mind are those normally associated with Bavaria. It’s not that there are not other scenic areas of this diverse country, but whether through self-promotion or World War outcomes, it has come to define it for most travelers. Story book castles, majestic mountains, and Lederhosen-clad men with huge mugs of beer are hardly the whole of this modern yet tradition bound culture but this does little to keep their popping into your head with the mere mention of the country’s name. Whether you love or hate it, Bavaria does not disappoint those coming to find what the books tell them they’re looking for. The Bavaria Alps are stunning as they seem to rise vertically with no warning from their relatively flat surrounding plateau. Scenically situated castles dot the countryside and timeless old town centers are found in both big cities and small villages. For the beer connoisseur, it is an area ripe for exploration. With 750 breweries, Bavaria is home to one fifth of the world’s total. Unfortunately, most travelers stick to the mainstream of Bavaria and only see a glimpse into this fascinating area. There is much beyond Munich and its immediate surroundings. Go further afield, especially into little traveled Franconia, the northern portion of Bavaria. There you will find half-timbered villages with small butcher shops, bakeries, and often one-room breweries, where the local beer is on sale via small wooden kegs that are tapped fresh each day for villagers to enjoy after a hard day’s work or a friendly game of cards. This is no figment of Walt Disney’s imagination ala Neuschwanstein; this is the real Bavaria. And is perhaps indicative of the real Germany of a bygone era too.
I have always wanted to visit this place so you can imagine how happy I was that when working for Berlitz in Munich I... more travel advice
I had a monthly train pass that allowed me to travel anywhere in a 45-minute radius of Munich so I took full advantage... more travel advice
- See All Kaltenberger Ritterturnier
- If you have to go, but really, you don't...
- A dream come true...
- Hiking is a great sport!
- bring your own food is a tradition in...
- beware the maibock....
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Bavaria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bavaria - my home for 10 years"
- "2004: A Bavarian Beer Odyssey"
- "Magic Bavaria: when God created paradise :-)"
- "Bavaria - under construction"
- "Bavarian tours"
- "Websites Bavaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bavaria
- Hotels in Bavaria
- Transportation in Bavaria
- Nightlife in Bavaria
- Restaurants in Bavaria
- Shopping in Bavaria
- Warnings and Dangers in Bavaria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bavaria
- 229 Reviews
- 347 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Bavaria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bavaria
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos