"Romance, Chocolate & Beer: Belgium" Belgium by richiecdisc
Belgium Travel Guide: 22,100 reviews and 55,664 photos
Belgium gets little respect compared to countries on the prescribed must see itinerary of the average first time visitor to Europe. I must admit that as a college sophomore, I had really not even heard of it and when I had to change trains in Brussels on my way from Amsterdam to Paris, I could only manage an image of a Brussels sprout and quickly decided to not even venture out into the gray and gloomy looking city. When I look back and realize all I had missed, even only with regard to beer, I cringe at the thought today, but I think that Belgium would have been beyond my scope at that tender age. It is a country that is more for refined tastes and though small in size and easily explored in a short time, one that demands some attention for true appreciation. Though lacking a jagged mountain range like the Alps or a rugged coast like southwestern France, Belgium is nevertheless a coastal country with the gently beautiful Ardennes in the southern French-speaking portion of the country. The true gems however are the well-preserved romantic medieval towns of Brugge and Ghent along with equally enthralling cities like Brussels and Antwerp. Add to that a cuisine that is inadequately described as being French in quality and German in quantity, some of the finest chocolate in the world and perhaps the most diverse range of beers, and you have a little dynamo of a country well worth exploring as part of a grand European tour or in its own right. .
Cafes are the place to be and it certainly doen't have to be at night. Brussles: Falstaff is a must. They serve their... more travel advice
You must go to Brugge if nothing else. It's just an amazingly timeless city full of canals and winding cobblestone... more travel advice
- See All Do a day trip out to Oud...
- Enjoy the many cathedrals of...
- Packing List
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Belgium Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Belgium by cows". Translation: Norali"
- "Belgium is like >. big!"
- "Belgium - So small but so different in landscapes"
- "My Homeland"
- "Paul's Journey Through Belgium"
- "The real cows"
- "Belgium places to visit and beers to drink"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belgium
- Hotels in Belgium
- Transportation in Belgium
- Nightlife in Belgium
- Restaurants in Belgium
- Shopping in Belgium
- Warnings and Dangers in Belgium
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Belgium
- 121 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Belgium?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belgium
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Commented on one of rob12c's Belgium travel pages
- created a Belgium Travel Page "Romance, Chocolate & Beer: Belgium"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Romance, Chocolate & Beer: Belgium"
- Wrote a Review Cafes are the place to be and... in Belgium Nightlife
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
Top Belgium hotels
- Brussels Hotels
- 5620 Reviews - 11922 Photos
- Brugge Hotels
- 2698 Reviews - 7188 Photos
- Antwerp Hotels
- 2892 Reviews - 7155 Photos
- Oostende Hotels
- 527 Reviews - 1683 Photos
- Ieper Hotels
- 484 Reviews - 1387 Photos
- Charleroi Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 133 Photos
- Leuven Hotels
- 483 Reviews - 1046 Photos
- Namur Hotels
- 189 Reviews - 490 Photos
- Gent Hotels
- 1411 Reviews - 3631 Photos
- De Panne Hotels
- 89 Reviews - 127 Photos
- Turnhout Hotels
- 111 Reviews - 153 Photos
- Mechelen Hotels
- 285 Reviews - 676 Photos
- Liège Hotels
- 197 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Auderghem Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Mons Hotels
- 212 Reviews - 416 Photos